Monitoring Traps...

huckhgh

Does anyone use cellular trail-cameras to monitor their traps?

That way you would know immediately once you caught something.

I've never trapped before but was trying to figure out a way to use my Spartan trail-cams.

Thanks,

Huck

mossyoakpro

I have used trail cameras to monitor spots that I want to confirm predator traffic before I put a trap down....after that I enjoy being surprised when I arrive that next morning. Kinda like Christmas!!

huckhgh

I have used trail cameras to monitor spots that I want to confirm predator traffic before I put a trap down....after that I enjoy being surprised when I arrive that next morning. Kinda like Christmas!!

The "not knowing" and being surprised does sound fun! I didn't know if the cellular cameras could provide an advantage for the folks that didn't have as much time and also eliminate you from having to go out to check an empty trap to avoid putting as much scent in the area around the traps.

mossyoakpro

The "not knowing" and being surprised does sound fun! I didn't know if the cellular cameras could provide an advantage for the folks that didn't have as much time and also eliminate you from having to go out to check an empty trap to avoid putting as much scent in the area around the traps.

Like Oldguy stated...by law it has to be checked every 24 hours. I mainly trap roads which is where the predators like to run as well so you can just ride by and look at the trap. If it's tripped, then reset it, if not, then keep riding to the next one. Nothing quite like seeing your first critter bouncing around in the trap...you won't soon forget it. Best of luck!

huckhgh

One could argue that with the cellular cameras that you are constantly checking the traps rather than the 24-hour rule and could be more efficient overall.

However, I'm getting the feeling that trapping isn't really about efficiency. It's more about precisely setting your traps, enjoying the rush of "not knowing" and hoping for that "Christmas morning" experience.

If you knew you had something in your trap before you went out there, it might diminish some of that excitement.

Thanks for the feedback!

Huck

cowhornedspike

I know of a property that is continually trapped (75 live catch traps) for nuisance reasons where all the traps have a little antenna sticking up from them and they send a signal out once tripped. Very effective for a professional trapper but he doesn't do it for sport...purely business.

oldguy

I know of a property that is continually trapped (75 live catch traps) for nuisance reasons where all the traps have a little antenna sticking up from them and they send a signal out once tripped. Very effective for a professional trapper but he doesn't do it for sport...purely business.
I've seen those from the road on a plantation near here.

Davexx1

Yes.

BTW: frequent human presence via foot or drive by at or near trap sites can be a detriment to your success and catch rate. Remote monitoring of trap sites, when practical and in some instances, can eliminate needless trips and reduce the possibility of spooking any nearby target species from the area. Expense is a consideration and could be cost preventative. Using "hi tech" is far from old school tradition though.

Dave

280 Man

Banned
Heck no, I'm not monitoring my traps with anything except my legs! I don't want to know before I go. I like getting out and going from trap to trap with an expectation!

As a couple have said, it's like Christmas or your birthday when you walk up and have a ol wary coyote that you have fooled! It only has minutes to live from there!

280 Man

Banned
Yes.

BTW: frequent human presence via foot or drive by at or near trap sites can be a detriment to your success and catch rate. Remote monitoring of trap sites, when practical and in some instances, can eliminate needless trips and reduce the possibility of spooking any nearby target species from the area. Expense is a consideration and could be cost preventative. Using "hi tech" is far from old school tradition though.

Dave

Expense is always there even with camera surveillance ya still gotta go! Most states require at least a 24 hr check of traps!