Mossberg patriot bantam

jcd465

Anyone have any reason not to pick one up? Seems like a nice platform for kids. Thinking about the 350 legend model.

GunnSmokeer

Sounds good to me, I have no personal experience. I see that the 350 Legend is an intermediate powered round that should generate less recoil than either a 30-30 Winchester or a 243 Winchester.

Therefore it may work out of a lightweight gun like this Mossberg bantam or youth model rifle.

PS: I have Mossberg 500 shotgun 20 gauge that is in the Bantam size.
It's got a lot of recoil with high-brass loads, and many newbies and women are disturbed by the kick.

jcd465

Thanks, I have not shot the 350 legend round. My son is a bean pole so I wanted something light kicking. I have always been the biggest in the room so I started with my dads 30/06 but I don't want to do that to my son.

Reactions: Dub

BeerThirty

Can't speak to the bantam models, but both of my sons each received a Mossberg Patriot for their 10th birthday as their first deer rifle. One a .243 and one a 6.5 creed. My oldest son who got the .243 was a beanpole as well, and he handled the gun very well. They are great shooting guns and I would put them up against any of the other budget rifles out there.

Jester896

Senior Clown
A friend that shoots with us at times has a standard Patriot in .308. It is just over 1 MOA @ 100 with the factory loads he shoots at deer or handloads for my .308

Gator89

Thanks, I have not shot the 350 legend round. My son is a bean pole so I wanted something light kicking. I have always been the biggest in the room so I started with my dads 30/06 but I don't want to do that to my son.

Bear Creek Arsenal AR 15 in 350 Legend would be a great low/no kick option.

I'm a 6mm fan so a .243 would be my first pick. I've heard only praise for the Patriot platform. Nothing bad to say about the .350, just not a caliber every Mom & Pop will likely keep in stock. Starting a kid out with an effective caliber that they don't dread squeezing the trigger on is the way to go. Shot placement is key.

Affording the ammo for them to get comfortable with any centerfire is likely going to be the most painful part of you.

Gator89

I'm a 6mm fan so a .243 would be my first pick. I've heard only praise for the Patriot platform. Nothing bad to say about the .350, just not a caliber every Mom & Pop will likely keep in stock. Starting a kid out with an effective caliber that they don't dread squeezing the trigger on is the way to go. Shot placement is key.

Affording the ammo for them to get comfortable with any centerfire is likely going to be the most painful part of you.

A BCA 350 and a 22LR upper for lower cost trigger time.

:shoot:

jcd465

I have been checking the gun stores around me and it seems like the only ammo they ever have in stock is 308 and 350 legend. Went to the local walmart today and they had both. Seeing the available ammo really made me start reading into the 350 legend round. I would prefer the 243 but ammo availability around me... seems to be sparse.

I will check into the BCA 350. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking long term. A popular newer round may or may not stand the test of time.

I’m a long way from being clairvoyant, just thinking about what’s hot now may be an old hat has been 5 or 10 years from now. Before now I have never seen such times when 30-30 and .270 Winchester aren’t readily found on the shelf. Interesting times we’re living in.

ucfireman

Nothing bad to say about the .350, just not a caliber every Mom & Pop will likely keep in stock.
I was going to say that the walmart had 350L when they had nothing else.
Either readily available or no one has a gun that will shoot it.
I know nothing about that caliber though.

But yes long term I like .243 or 30/30. tried and tested.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
.350L will stand the test of time, if only because it works in the AR platform....

It will also stay around because it punches WAY over it's weight.

And it will stay around because it is (was) comparatively cheap...

Absolutely nothing not to like about it.

Jim Boyd

It will stand the test of time, also, because of all the Midwest states that allow it for deer - over shotguns.

May not be as popular in the south but a lot of us boys head north and west in November.

Jim Boyd

Another low kick option is 6.5 Grendel. I did a project this summer and it is very accurate (sub MOA when I do my part) and is a true joy to shoot.

I am on a low recoil / cheap accuracy kick lately and the 6.5 fit the bill and am just starting to work on a 350 Legend project.

Brass is readily available and was not expensive at $0.3 per case.