Pick up a Savage 93R17 BTVSS the other day….might be my new favorite

BBQOutdoors77

I picked up a new 93R17BTVSS and was able to send a few down range today. I was only able to shoot 50 yards, but was pretty impressed with her. Can’t wait to see what it does out to 200.

It seems to like the 20GR XTP’s. My only real complaint is the magazines but I knew they sucked going into it. 10 shot group was great on 1” shoot and sees! Squirrels are in trouble! :bounce:

If anyone is thinking about picking one up I highly recommend it.
IMG_0205.jpegIMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0310.jpegIMG_0315.jpeg

trial&error

FYI 17 gr bullets don't like windy days. Other than that, the magazine is my only issue with mine. Put the mag in my pocket and it self unloads for me.
Maybe they fixed that by now.

BBQOutdoors77

FYI 17 gr bullets don't like windy days. Other than that, the magazine is my only issue with mine. Put the mag in my pocket and it self unloads for me.
Maybe they fixed that by now.
Good to know
Yeah, the 5 rounder that came with it holds the cartridges pretty well. I picked up a 10 rounder and they are pretty lose. I could see the rounds falling out in my pocket.

krizia829

Gosh I miss mine!! I had that same one and my husband had the 22wmr. We used to buy the battleship targets and take them out to 100yds and had a blast! I now have the 93R17 Minimalist in 17hmr. But the BTVSS was my favorite for sure! Mine loved the Hornady 17gr V-Max rounds. CCI V-Max also shot great!

BBQOutdoors77

Gosh I miss mine!! I had that same one and my husband had the 22wmr. We used to buy the battleship targets and take them out to 100yds and had a blast! I now have the 93R17 Minimalist in 17hmr. But the BTVSS was my favorite for sure! Mine loved the Hornady 17gr V-Max rounds. CCI V-Max also shot great!
That’s funny about the battleship targets because my wife and I just bought some of those. Can’t wait to do the same thing. Next one on the list some day is a CZ457MTR. I’ve heard they are pretty insane.

krizia829

That’s funny about the battleship targets because my wife and I just bought some of those. Can’t wait to do the same thing. Next one on the list some day is a CZ457MTR. I’ve heard they are pretty insane.
You're gonna have fun with those targets! We'd have some close matches! I miss those days.. It's been hard for me to go to the range after having kids but I have some great memories with my husband shooting them together!

I shot a squirrel a few years ago with mine and it split it in half lol I couldn't salvage it to try squirrel meat. It destroyed it! I have varmint hunts in my bucket list. I'd love to go up north to like N and S Dakota or somewhere far with my 17hmr. That's gotta be so much fun

BTW, is that the Leupold VX5 on yours?? Love the setup!

Jim Boyd

Sweet rig!

Time to dig my old 17 out!

BBQOutdoors77

You're gonna have fun with those targets! We'd have some close matches! I miss those days.. It's been hard for me to go to the range after having kids but I have some great memories with my husband shooting them together!

I shot a squirrel a few years ago with mine and it split it in half lol I couldn't salvage it to try squirrel meat. It destroyed it! I have varmint hunts in my bucket list. I'd love to go up north to like N and S Dakota or somewhere far with my 17hmr. That's gotta be so much fun

BTW, is that the Leupold VX5 on yours?? Love the setup!
Yes it’s the 5HD Firedot. It’s a bit overkill for a rimfire, but I really like it. A prairie dog hunt would be awesome! Actually I took it out squirrel hunting this morning. I shot two and you’re right….heads shots only :bounce:

SC Hunter

We shoot a 17 alot at the house and really enjoy it. I'm about to make a big ammo purchase in the next few weeks, enough to where I don't have to worry about it for a long time. The kids bet quarters on who can shoot bottle caps at 50 yards. I love my .17 but it's not a squirrel rifle for sure. More of a utility rifle for me since it stays in the truck.

Those savages with the thumb hole stocks look slick!

krizia829

Yes it’s the 5HD Firedot. It’s a bit overkill for a rimfire, but I really like it. A prairie dog hunt would be awesome! Actually I took it out squirrel hunting this morning. I shot two and you’re right….heads shots only :bounce:
That scope is awesome! If I had a new rifle and the $ for it, I'd put that one, or a VX3. Leupold has always been my favorite, just too pricey. I should've jumped on a VX Freedom when they came out and were much cheaper

Tight Lines

We shoot a 17 alot at the house and really enjoy it. I'm about to make a big ammo purchase in the next few weeks, enough to where I don't have to worry about it for a long time. The kids bet quarters on who can shoot bottle caps at 50 yards. I love my .17 but it's not a squirrel rifle for sure. More of a utility rifle for me since it stays in the truck.

Those savages with the thumb hole stocks look slick!
Why do you say not a squirrel rifle? Curious...

SC Hunter

Why do you say not a squirrel rifle? Curious...
If you hit them anywhere other than the head it will quite literally blow them apart. Well 17 grain vmax ammo does anyway and that's about all I shoot. I'll occasionally make fried squirrel and gravy and don't want to blow them apart. Plus as @Dub I can shoot a 22 much cheaper but mainly because it's just so violent on small critters you can't eat them.