Review of my new Savage 555 Compact...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I recently lost the little 870 20 gauge youth model that I have squirrel hunted with forever to my grandson The Kid.

I also lost the Savage single shot 20 that I got for my 8th Christmas to my other grandson Little Brother..

So, nothing to do but buy me another small, compact 20 for woods walkin' and shooting squirrels.

Enter the Savage 555 Compact that caught my eye at the gun store, and I ended up bringing it home.

I have hunted with it for two days, and I'm gonna call it a keeper! It weighs less than six pounds loaded, shoots where I hold it, and it's a pure pleasure to carry on a few mile hike in the woods.

It's a good lookin' thing, too...

IMG_20230910_075639823.jpg

In today's world of camo coated plastic firearms, this thing, made of ALL metal and wood, is a heckuva deal, works very well, and takes me back to a different time...

I highly recommend the Savage stack barrels, if you are thinking of one..

Big7

The Oracle
I recently lost the little 870 20 gauge youth model that I have squirrel hunted with forever to my grandson The Kid.

I also lost the Savage single shot 20 that I got for my 8th Christmas to my other grandson Little Brother..

So, nothing to do but buy me another small, compact 20 for woods walkin' and shooting squirrels.

Enter the Savage 555 Compact that caught my eye at the gun store, and I ended up bringing it home.

I have hunted with it for two days, and I'm gonna call it a keeper! It weighs less than six pounds loaded, shoots where I hold it, and it's a pure pleasure to carry on a few mile hike in the woods.

It's a good lookin' thing, too...

View attachment 1253219

In today's world of camo coated plastic firearms, this thing, made of ALL metal and wood, is a heckuva deal, works very well, and takes me back to a different time...

I highly recommend the Savage stack barrels, if you are thinking of one..
Is it a youth model or just a "smaller" shotgun?

I got a youth model 870 I'm fixing to sell or trade. I used to hunt rabbits with it but don't have dirt or a lease any more and my old buddy got to old to fool with dogs so I really have no use for it now.

I put a slip on pad on it just to increase the LOP by about an inch but it don't kick hardly at all without it all unless you put 3" buckshot in it.

MOTS

My go to deer rifle is a Savage 110 in .270. It's amazing how many guns are being made with off brand names now. I'm 60, and if they didn't make guns back when I was born, they don't make it to my safes. I've been wanting that same DB for a while.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a fine looking 2 shoot gun. I need something along those lines and if I ever do get another shotgun it will be one of those.