Mountain Bear hunting gear

WoodlandScout82

I really need to put my skills to more use and design/build a true ultralight/packable stand. I just never make the time to do it. Maybe I'll put some thought into it and build something for us guys for next season.
ALL of you guys are are very welcome to send me ideas and sketches of ideas you think would work for you. I'm a 22 year welder/fabricator/machinist/toolmaker currently working as an in-house industrial designer/prototypist for the film industry. In tradesman rank, I'm a "Master Journeyman/Craftsman". I own a full machine/fabrication shop.

ddd-shooter

ALL of you guys are are very welcome to send me ideas and sketches of ideas you think would work for you. I'm a 22 year welder/fabricator/machinist/toolmaker currently working as an in-house industrial designer/prototypist for the film industry. In tradesman rank, I'm a "Master Journeyman/Craftsman". I own a full machine/fabrication shop.
I’d buy a nice lightweight climber. I have no thoughts, other than I’d like it less than 15 pounds, anything more than that and I’d just go with the tried and true viper at 19 pounds.

Tio Hey Seuss

I’d buy a nice lightweight climber. I have no thoughts, other than I’d like it less than 15 pounds, anything more than that and I’d just go with the tried and true viper at 19 pounds.
The new Lone Wolf stands are only like 11 lbs. Never used one myself but that is supposed to be the lightest option unless you go with a tree saddle.

ScarFoot

I have kicked around the idea of having an aluminum seat assembly fabricated that would attach to the top of the collapsible aluminum ladders

ScarFoot

I have kicked around the idea of having an aluminum seat assembly fabricated that would attach to the top of the collapsible aluminum ladders

WoodlandScout82

I finally got my gear sorted out. This is everything except my crossbow/rifle. Ultralight, easy to grab and go, and compact for getting through those thickets.received_468610953992717.jpeg

jbogg

Looks good! I like your extra paracord storage. What kind of Treking pole is that? I have started carrying one pole most of the time. Sure helps when traversing the steep stuff.

WoodlandScout82

Looks good! I like your extra paracord storage. What kind of Treking pole is that? I have started carrying one pole most of the time. Sure helps when traversing the steep stuff.
I got it at Academy for like $9.99, don't remember the brand. It beats my old poplar stick with a stainless steel pointed endcap I made for sure. I can collapse it and put it in my pack at least.

Buckman18

The new Lone Wolf stands are only like 11 lbs. Never used one myself but that is supposed to be the lightest option unless you go with a tree saddle.

I can find a hang on that’s 11, but not a climber? I just looked on their website? I’d be interested in checking that out if it’s comfy and easy to hang and climb.

I’ve never tried a Lone Wolf, how are they compared to a Viper?

WoodlandScout82

Here's a topic we haven't covered. What camo are you sporting? I know as well as all of you that it really doesn't matter so long as you can sit still and be quiet. I got my first deer on an impromptu hunt with a friend on my parents property wearing all black.
I spent the past 2 years putting together full suits of the camo I wanted when I was a teen in the late 90s, Advantage Timber, and Trebark Bigwoods. I accidently walked into a clearance sale a few weeks ago and got a full set of Mossy oak breakup country(Nomad) for $25. Personally, I've always been a fan of old school woodland camo.received_358581808416437.jpegreceived_452094422046750.jpeg

jbogg

I can find a hang on that’s 11, but not a climber? I just looked on their website? I’d be interested in checking that out if it’s comfy and easy to hang and climb.

I’m telling ya Buckman you need to check out the YouTube videos for the JX 3 Hybrid by JX 3 Outdoors. It weighs 9.5lbs without your climbing method. It’s way more comfortable than any ultra light climber or lockon, and doubles as a pack frame. There are lots of options for a climbing method. I am using a LoneWolf Handclimber converted into a footclimber and am at right around 13 lbs total. It carries like a dream, and I will be sitting in mine on opening morning way up high on a White Oak Lead waiting on Fuzzy to walk by.

Buckman18

I’m telling ya Buckman you need to check out the YouTube videos for the JX 3 Hybrid by JX 3 Outdoors. It weighs 9.5lbs without your climbing method. It’s way more comfortable than any ultra light climber or lockon, and doubles as a pack frame. There are lots of options for a climbing method. I am using a LoneWolf Handclimber converted into a footclimber and am at right around 13 lbs total. It carries like a dream, and I will be sitting in mine on opening morning way up high on a White Oak Lead waiting on Fuzzy to walk by.

10-4. I definitely will when we scout/fish together soon (y)

BeefMaster

Here's a topic we haven't covered. What camo are you sporting? I know as well as all of you that it really doesn't matter so long as you can sit still and be quiet. I got my first deer on an impromptu hunt with a friend on my parents property wearing all black.
I spent the past 2 years putting together full suits of the camo I wanted when I was a teen in the late 90s, Advantage Timber, and Trebark Bigwoods. I accidently walked into a clearance sale a few weeks ago and got a full set of Mossy oak breakup country(Nomad) for $25. Personally, I've always been a fan of old school woodland camo.View attachment 981090View attachment 981091

I’ve become a big fan of multicam or it’s variants that our Uncle issues to the good guys. You can get it mighty cheap off of the web and it is surprisingly versatile.

Tio Hey Seuss

That sounds like a sweet setup man! I've been thinking real hard about a saddle. Might get one next year.

Tio Hey Seuss

I think the one I looked at was the Assault 2 hang on. I've got zero experience with hang on's and very little with climbing stands. I just recently started looking into getting off the ground and I haven't made up my mind.

Buckman18

10-4. I’m not sure where you live, but it might pay to check with Alexander’s in Blairsville for a Summit Viper. They usually sell the aluminum version for about $200. I’ve got a couple.

Also, a forum member just PMd a lone wolf he is wanting to sell, I’ll send it to you in case you’re interested in that one.

ddd-shooter

I just can't see myself using a saddle. I love the weight, but it just doesn't seem practical to my preferred style of hunting. To each his own I guess. I sure hope you slay them though!