Muzzleloader ammo for bear ?

Darkhorse

I've been hunting with a muzzleloader since 1976 and the only projectile I've used, and will ever use, is a patched round ball.
Also, I only hunt with a flintlock when hunting black powder.
It just works. If it didn't I would not be using it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been hunting with a muzzleloader since 1976 and the only projectile I've used, and will ever use, is a patched round ball.
Also, I only hunt with a flintlock when hunting black powder.
It just works. If it didn't I would not be using it.
That is the best course of action, and the one I prefer myself. Go try to shoot that round ball in an inline like most of the folks in this thread are talking about, though. Or a faster-twist percussion. My flintlock with a 1" in 62" twist is only loaded with round balls and nothing else. I have one Hawken with a 1" in 48" (supposedly) that won't shoot a 10" group at fifty yards with round balls. It's quite accurate with conical maxi balls, though, and I've killed a traincar load of deer with it over the years. I don't feel a bit guilty about using mid- 1800s technology that still works.

tree cutter 08

Got a trip planned for October during muzzle loader week and I’ll probably hunt with bow but may take muzzle loader also . I know several of you have good luck with ML and was just curious what your preferred ammo is . I’ve used these for deer for several years and have no complaints . Thanks , I’m still looking for my first bear and am planning on giving it my all at least one 5 day trip this season . View attachment 1155558
Those will work fine. A good pass through is always good since they tend to not bleed good sometimes. Trailing one with no blood trail in a area with alot of bear traffic can be tough.