Muzzleloader Question?

01Foreman400

Staff member
Is there a big difference in ballistics when using 100 gr. vs 150 gr. of powder?

biggdogg

don't know about the ballistics, i've seen little difference. there is a big difference in the punishment though.

WTM45

Usually there is minimial velocity increase for the additional recoil and muzzle blast caused by more ejecta and unburned powder.

Cost/benefit.

I've found 115gr of BH209 to be the breaking point for my Knight 26" tube.
100-110gr is the most accurate. Accuracy starts falling off with heavier loadings.
(Weights by volume, not by scale.)

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
don't know about the ballistics, i've seen little difference. there is a big difference in the punishment though.
i am sure the velosity would increase. i like a mild shooting firearm, use 1oo grains of powder or 2 50 gr pellets. in my hawkin i loved the .45 cal maxyball with 75 grains of powder, deer did not complain!:bounce::pop:

Wild Turkey

Mine goes nutts with 150 and wont hold a group. 110 is the best for mine grouping. More powder dont make a better shooting gun. It can really mess it up. Depends on the gun.
Id rather deal with less power and controlled shooting than reducing long range drop. You still have to hit it in a controlled situation.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Thanks for clearing this up for me. Mine shoots great 100 gr. I think I'll just sticks with that.

bublewis

Yeah, w/150gr. you get a good show of fire out of the bbl. I remember one guy told me back when the pyrodex pellets where new and he started using 3x50gr that his gun shot the last pellet out as a "fire ball" through the woods - good for 4th of July, but if it's dry, don't start a forest fire!

R

redneckcamo

I have had several 50cal muzzy's over the years and found they all were more accurate with around 100gr loads an the 45s liked the 80 - 90gr loads ..... and loose powder was also more consistent in shot groups than the pellets were ....my 2 cents

I shot 100 grains in my CVA for several years. The past 2 years, I've been shooting 150 for the long-range ballistics. Other than the soreness in my shoulder causing me to flinch after 7 or 8 shots, I don't notice any inconsistency in my shots. I sight my dad's CVA in the same way. Two years ago, I used the wrong ballistics table and sighted in incorrectly. I shot over a doe at about 90 yards. The next morning, I "missed" a doe at 15 yards. I say "missed" because I never found signs of a hit or smelled a dead deer later in the season, but I don't know how I missed. I set up a target and put two shots right where they were supposed to be. Last year, I killed a doe from the same stand standing in the same opening and dropped her in her tracks.

I shoot 70grns. of bp w,.495 prb.Never figured out why folks shoot the pellets when your most accurate load might be other than 50, 100, 150 grns. Too much limitation IMH.

patterstdeer

If you pull up the Powerbelt ballistic chart just to use as a guide it shows the velocity and trajaectory differences in loads.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have used 90 grains of powder in my .50 for many years. Any bigger load in that gun is wasting powder and hurting accuracy. I've killed a large stack of deer with that load, and the bullet is buried in the ground on the other side of the deer.