My pack weighs 68lbs...........

The Arrow Guru

The last package came in today for my Colorado Elk hunt. I got everything in my pack including strapping my bow to the back and it weighs 68lbs. I thought I might check and see if any one out there has done this kind of thing before and might have some pointers.
Included in my pack are the following items:
3 pair micro lite pants
3 stalker light 6 button shirts
2 long sleeve Red Head "heat gear" base layers
1 long sleeve UA heat gear base
2 short sleeve compression AU shirts
1 set silk base layers
1 set white water outdoors performance base layer
1 set poloar edge performance base layer
6 pair au mesh boxer briefs 9"
6 pair AU padded athletic socks
1 UA hoody
1 set 10X rain gear
20 Backpackers counrty freeze dried meals
20 packs of outmeal
1 Jet Boil stove
2 Iso-Butane tanks
1 compass
1 gps
2 unit maps
2 7.5 minute maps
4 knives
1 flashlite
1 36 pack AA batteries
1 36 pack AAA batteries
1 headlamp
1 limb saw
1 tent
1 sleeping bag
1 portable bow press
1 set of back up strings and cables
1 Water filter
1 Rage Cage
10 day Wilderness Athlete performance pack
1 range finder
2 hats
2 pair gloves
1 primos ninja mask
1 set needle nose pliers
2 sets of allen wrenches large and small
1 string wax
2 reed calls
1 bite call
1 bugle
1 Hoyt Alpha Burner with all the fixins
10 Easton Flatliner surgicals
6 Rage 125's
1 Tru Ball Copperhead realease
1 pack scent shield field wipes
1 stick Dead Down Wind Deodorant
1 tooth brush
1 tube of tooth paste
1 roll of tp
1 Camera
1 Terma-cell
1 thera-cell refill pack
2 packs of mole skin
2 rolls athletic tape
1 bottle Wilderness Athlete Altitude Advantage pills
1 bottle Advil
2 years of planning

we are going OTC, DIY, pack in for ten days!
Tell me what you think!

HermanMerman

I would be adding more Therma-Cell refills until I hit 70 lbs. Good luck!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It sure is uncomfortable to be caught short handed on anything. That being said, I believe I'd swap the 10x raingear for Frogg Toggs, and not sure I'd need 4 knives, nor near that many batteries. I'd elect to wear a Gerber tool on my belt in lieu of a couple of the knives and the needle nose pliers. I'm sure there are a couple of other places to trim a few ounces.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Good luck! I hope you have a good time! I just hope you're in better shape than me. That air out there is pretty thin! I hope you've been hitting the gym.

The Arrow Guru

The 10 X rain gear is a little heavy, however there have been a few thunderstorms where we are going to hunt the last few weeks and I think I'd rather have something a little more substancial just in case. As far as the knives, I have one large Cutco fixed blade, one gerber folder, a smaller kershaw folder and a small thin gerber pocket knife. We will be between 10,500 and 13,000 feet so I'm not ever sure the therma-cell will be needed.

The Arrow Guru

Been in the gym for the last year. I have went from 211 to 180! Feel stronger than ever. Been walking about a mile a day with my pack on in my subdivision which is pretty steep and hilly. I know its nothing like out there, but better than nothing.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Been in the gym for the last year. I have went from 211 to 180! Feel stronger than ever. Been walking about a mile a day with my pack on in my subdivision which is pretty steep and hilly. I know its nothing like out there, but better than nothing.

That's way better than I can do right now. You sound prepared. Good luck!:cheers:

The Arrow Guru

We have been preparing for two years. The plan was to go last year but it did not work out. We researched the area. we have all the areas we want to hunt already programmed in the GPS. Got all my stuff in a Eberlestock J34 just one pack. 0 degree sleeping bag, moutian type tent. portable water filter. Plenty of freeze dried food. We think we are ready. The only thing is that this is the very first time hunting elk. We have read and studied more than anybody, but until you do it, your just guessing, so we will see how it goes. My goals are simple, I want to see the sun come up over the mountians. I want to see the sun go down over the mountians. I want to hear a bull elk bugle with my own ears. If I do that, it will be a successful trip. If I happen to kill an elk that will just be unreal. According to all the information I have gathered over the last two years the 10th - 24th, when we are going, should put us right in prime time for hunting the rut.

pasinthrough

Byron,

Sounds like you have it covered. The only thing you don't have listed is some 550 cord. I usually take 50 feet or so...it has so many uses.

Good luck! I have faith in ya and will say an extra prayer for you guys while your gone!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Carry two compasses instead of one. That way you won`t get in an argument with just the one, if you start to doubt what it says. I would also carry 2 fixed blade drop point knives, and a small sharpener.

How are you gonna start your fires? I would carry two separate means of fire starter.

And a bottle of superglue jell, for cuts.

Skyjacker

Go to the site I told you to and you'll have 20 professional ELk guides and Elk hunters tell you exactly what you need to pack and not an ounce more.

Gaswamp

I use to hunt like this in Alaska for caribou. A couple of questions before I give you more thoughts

Are you going to have a base camp?
what kind of hike in or you looking at?
What are you planning to do if yall get an elk?
how much does your tent and sleeping bags weigh?

One thing even if you don't plan on having a fire at night you always need to be prepared to have one it could be a life saver.