Need some helping picking my first kayak

CollegiateHunter

A buddy of mine let me borrow his kayak to go fishing a few days back and now I'm hooked. Completely different experience than using a boat. Don't know much about them and what to look for but I've been doing some research and hope you guys can help me out with the rest.

My main areas of use would be ponds, rivers, lakes. Close inshore would be the extreme of what I would use it for so I don't think I'd really need a sea kayak.

Looking for one that can be used to fish as well as general recreation so one that has space for camping stuff, coolers etc is definitely a plus.

My budget for one is going to be around 600-800 for the kayak itself.

So far here's a list of what I'm looking at:

WS Tarpon
Perception
Old Town

Read a bunch of threads about Jackson Kayak Coosa but since they are fairly new there's not that much out there yet.

Hope you guys can steer me in the right direction as to length, models, weight, etc.

Also any pics you would be willing to put up would be a great help as well.

Thanks in advance !!!

CH

Randy

What size person are you?

Wishin I was Fishin

I recently bought a Perception Pescador 12. Great boat, I'm about 6'1" and I fit perfectly with the foot pegs as far away from me as they will go. Any questions about it feel free to ask me. I'm attatching a pic, it didn't come with the paddle.

Attachments

• IMG00077-20110306-1719.jpg
    IMG00077-20110306-1719.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3,659

CollegiateHunter

Around 6'0 and 210 lbs. I've got long legs and I'm worried a 10' kayak is going to be uncomfortable after a while. However the longer you get, the less you can maneuver and the heavier its gonna be.

Wishin I was Fishin

I can carry mine on my shoulder just fine. I wouldn't want to do it for an extreme distance but from truck to boat ramp is no sweat. I think it's about 60 lbs, but you could always buy or build a cart to carry yours on.

Randy

With your size you are going to need a 350-400 capacity yak. You r overall requirements (lakes, ponds, rivers and inshore) mean mean you need an all-around kayak. That gets you out of 10-11 foot yaks. You need to be in 12'-13'-14' yaks.

Look at the following:
Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Drifter
Native Manta Ray 14
Wilderness Tarpon 140
Jackson Coosa

All of these with the exception of the Drifter are over your budget.

sborsh99

I think the Tarpon 120 would be a real good fit for you. The 12ft. tracks well and is still pretty maneuverable. You can test the Tarpon's as well as the Search 13,which might be a good option also, up at Cedar Creek Park. You can check out their website www.bigcedarcreek.com.

CollegiateHunter

Randy, looked at the ones you suggested. While looking over the specs I found the Coosa is only 11'3" whereas the others are 13-14 ft. Would this not be too short?

I'm hoping to try some out next week as I'm looking at taking a trip over to The Outdoor World in Columbus. Also going to Black Creek Outfitters in Jacksonville this Saturday and they're supposed to carry Coosa's there. Hope to get a look at one of those.

If my price range is a little on the low side I'd be willing to wait a bit and save a little more. I'd rather get what I need upfront than buying something I'd regret later on.

Randy

Randy, looked at the ones you suggested. While looking over the specs I found the Coosa is only 11'3" whereas the others are 13-14 ft. Would this not be to short?

If my price range is a little on the low side I'd be willing to wait a bit and save a little more. I'd rather get what I need upfront than buying something I'd regret later on.

I have not paddled the Coosa. As such I can not say for certain.

Bruiser

You fall within the Coosa's range at 6'1" and 210lbs. However, I would paddle a variety of kayaks to determine the best fit for you and your applications. While we can steer you in the 'right' general direction, only you can determine what's best for you.

Kayak fishing sure is fun!

hortonhunter22

ive fished from the Tarpon 140 and Ride 135....they both have there place...if you will be cover lots of ground the tarpon by far paddles easier and will move...the ride is a really stable kayak but doesnt paddle as well

MadDawg51

Horton touched my issue. You mention lakes and rivers both of which may require paddling a bit of distance. The shorter yaks just don't move through the water as fast or easily as the longer ones. Beam is also an issue as the wider yaks are slower. So, long and narrow moves quickly -- but it isn't as stable as wider. I paddle a Feel Free Moken (13-6" I believe) which is not readily available here. But, there are a number of good fishing yaks in the 12 to 14 feet range that will paddle fairly well for the lakes and longer river sections.

FurFeathers&Scales

I bought the Coosa on thursday and have been playing with it in the shop... I'm a cornbread eatting kinda guy (6'4" and 320lb) and I am as comfortable as I am sitting in a office chair. I took it to a huge pond today and I love it... the boat sits real high out of the water-which is what I wanted to fish on the rivers. It has been a while since I kayaked, but it didn't take long to get my 'sea legs' back and it is a really stable kayak for my size. I bought this kayak for several reasons, but the main being to get a different kind of exercise and lose some pounds. Another one is I won't be able to outgrow it-I can't touch the footpegs if I put them on the last notch. I bought mine from the Outside World in Dawsonvill b/c Columbus didn't have any in stock-call before you take off to go over there. If you have some questions, gimme a PM. Good luck!

CollegiateHunter

Went by Black Creek Outfitters in Jacksonville yesterday. They have a pretty good size lake behind their store and had a bunch of different kayaks in stock. They had just gotten in an elite coosa so I tried that out with a 12' foot tarpon, hobie, and a couple others.

I've gotta hand it to the coosa as far as stability goes. Didn't go so far as to try and stand up but I'm sure you could. Very nicely designed and definitely made for fishing.

My other favorite was the Tarpon. Stability wasn't as great as the coosa but I felt the layout and seat won out. Having cargo access right at you was nice. With the coosa I had to lean forward out of the seat to reach it and it was only a small round storage hole. I also liked the tarpon's rail system and Gen. 3 seat.

All in all they're both fantastic kayaks and beat out all the others I tried by far but I think the tarpon fit my needs a little better. However the guys at the shop said the coosa's have been flying off the shelf and after my test paddle I can see why.

Gonna save up for a couple more weeks to raise my budget up a bit and then I'll be officially part of the club. Thanks for all the help and I'll be sure to post a pic up once I get it.

CH

ted_BSR

I don't want to talk you oughta something you like, and I would never say that I haven't wanted to stand up in my kayak before, and most guys on here like them, but I am not a fan of the sit on tops. They are just not as versatile (for water conditions) as decked boats. I have several decked boats, and fish from them all. Just another option to explore.

Randy

I don't want to talk you oughta something you like, and I would never say that I haven't wanted to stand up in my kayak before, and most guys on here like them, but I am not a fan of the sit on tops. They are just not as versatile (for water conditions) as decked boats. I have several decked boats, and fish from them all. Just another option to explore.

Quite the contrary. At least in our area SOT yaks are much more versatile.