Need some Intel...

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
So, my lady is throwing a surprise birthday party for her mother and they'd like some seafood. I'm headed down to jekyll second week of October and I can catch plenty fish, but I don't have access to a boat. Anyone have any Intel on spots I can target speckled trout or some nice size whiting from the shore? I'm also trying shrimping for the first time and I'm looking to buy a seine but don't know where to pull for shrimp in the area.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
So, my lady is throwing a surprise birthday party for her mother and they'd like some seafood. I'm headed down to jekyll second week of October and I can catch plenty fish, but I don't have access to a boat. Anyone have any Intel on spots I can target speckled trout or some nice size whiting from the shore? I'm also trying shrimping for the first time and I'm looking to buy a seine but don't know where to pull for shrimp in the area.
Can't help, just glad to see you posting again. Missed you the past couple years O.R.M.P. Give me a yell before the run starts.. got a boat now.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Railroader
He may have some advice

Been a while since I've been into it, but St. Andrews picnic area is popular among the Seine net folks.

I have done pretty well there with a good sized cast net, too.

If you pull a seine, watch the current and the dolphins. They know the score, and will aggravate you ..

As for the shore based fishing, the old bridge piers going into Jekyll are good as any.

You can fish off the rocks at Jekyll Pier, but be ready to lose some gear.

There is also a pier under the Sidney Lanier Bridge, and piers at the bridges on the SSI Causeway.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I was really in the know, but there are a bunch of places that are easy to access and try out, for a short based trip.

Good luck!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Been a while since I've been into it, but St. Andrews picnic area is popular among the Seine net folks.

I have done pretty well there with a good sized cast net, too.

If you pull a seine, watch the current and the dolphins. They know the score, and will aggravate you ..

As for the shore based fishing, the old bridge piers going into Jekyll are good as any.

You can fish off the rocks at Jekyll Pier, but be ready to lose some gear.

There is also a pier under the Sidney Lanier Bridge, and piers at the bridges on the SSI Causeway.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I was really in the know, but there are a bunch of places that are easy to access and try out, for a short based trip.

Good luck!
Got a 6ft cast net on hand, but I'm assuming at least an 8ft would give me better luck? I also am not sure but I'm guessing I'd be better off trying with a seine than a cast net altogether?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Got a 6ft cast net on hand, but I'm assuming at least an 8ft would give me better luck? I also am not sure but I'm guessing I'd be better off trying with a seine than a cast net altogether?

I like an 8' net. It's the biggest I could ever throw reliably...lol

As for the seine..

You will need two to pull it, and a couple more to keep the dolphins at bay. With a small boat paddle...

I swear those things can tear a seine up like nobody's business, and they don't mess with a cast net.

They know the difference.

That's why me and my buddies quit messing with seines, and got big cast nets.

charlie81

I’ve got a 50ft net I’m going to try out next weekend. I haven’t seined in probably 30+ years when I was a kid. What tide is best, and is it better trying at night or daylight?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ve got a 50ft net I’m going to try out next weekend. I haven’t seined in probably 30+ years when I was a kid. What tide is best, and is it better trying at night or daylight?

If you are going to Jekyll or SSI, a couple hours around low tide. If the shrimp/mullet are in the Sounds, day or dark don't matter much.

Current runs strong at the South end of Jekyll, be careful.