New trap

ditchdoc24

I found an ad on Facebook marketplace for a guy selling hog traps not far from me and made a deal. Picked the trap up this morning and went straight to a piece of property I have access to. Landowner asked me for help controlling his hog problem. Went back this afternoon with my hunting buddy and we got the trap baited up and the door pinned open. I’m working all weekend so we’re planning on setting the trap either Sunday morning or Monday afternoon after she gets out of school.

Attachments

• IMG_5039.jpeg
    IMG_5039.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5033.jpeg
    IMG_5033.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 115

ditchdoc24

I went down this morning and set the trap. They ate every bit of corn outside the trap and as far as they could reach without going into the trap. Rebaited and pulled my camera but the camera didn't take any pictures for some reason. We're going to do our first check tomorrow afternoon after little bit gets out of school. Now to troubleshoot this camera problem.

trial&error

That metal on the floor may give them reason to pause. I left that out on mine. I strap it down to bushes or trees just like it's tied on your trailer. They lift it up sometimes, but it doesn't turn over.

ditchdoc24

The deer have been eating my corn. Put out a cell camera last week and finally got a hog on camera last night. The only problem was that my trap had been set off somehow and I hadn’t had a chance to get in and reset it. Got the trap reset and re baited this morning. Spoke with the landowner this morning and we’re going to move the trap to a different spot next week if we haven’t had any luck by then.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0326.jpeg
    DSCF0326.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 49

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That’s a grown boar ! And he’s looking at your trap like yeah right :D

ditchdoc24

Had another pig come in this morning but the big boar from last night was a no show. I’m working all weekend so I won’t be able to get in there and add bait until Monday. I’m starting to think the pigs are just traveling through and not actually staying in the area. I’m still trying to get their pattern figured out but it’s taking some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 22

frankwright

They are hard to pattern. We have three feeders with three cell cams.
One day they are at a feeder from 9am to 11 am. Next day 4 pm to 7pm, next three days no pigs. Next day 4 am.
It seems no matter when I chose to hunt it is the wrong time.

ditchdoc24

The big boar from Wednesday night was back last night while I was at work. This time, he hung around a while and kept looking at the trap. I'm starting to think I might have to sit down there until I get a pic of him on the camera. Then I can do a stalk and handle it that way.

ditchdoc24

Well it’s been slow going since my last update but I’m pleased to report some success. The coons have been having a feast on my corn and setting my trap off to the point where I printed off the application packet yesterday for a trapping license and I’m about to buy me some dog proof traps to handle them.

I managed to catch a nice boar about a week and a half ago. He went to the President of my hunting club for sausage. Yesterday afternoon I decided I was going to sit with my rifle and thermal scope since these hogs seemed to be coming in right after sunset. I got settled in the stand about 6:30 and enjoyed watching two does that came out.

Sure enough, right after sunset, a pack of hogs come boiling up out of the bottom and come right by the stand. I managed to shoot the lead sow as she came by and she piled up about 30 yards away. She was a bit smaller than that boar but she went for sausage too. My buddy even brought me a bunch of the sausage he made from the boar. No pic being posted of the sow I got last night since she’s a little bloody.

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5320.jpeg
    IMG_5320.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5319.jpeg
    IMG_5319.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 35

ditchdoc24

Pinned the door open on my trap Tuesday morning since I'm in Savannah for a few days while the wife is attending a conference. Cell camera has been busy though. The hogs are starting to come back in right after sunset and it looks like the little ones from that sow I killed may have taken up with another sounder. I've got a big spotted sow on camera with some piglets hanging around with the piglets of the sow I killed. I'm in Savannah until tomorrow and then I have to work Saturday and Sunday. I'll get the trap reset and rebaited when I get back tomorrow afternoon. It doesn't look like I'll be back out with the thermal again until at least first of next week.