New Trapper...Not Sure What Happened...Advice?

Howdy Folks,

I run trail cameras for deer in the late season to pattern them. There's a spot about 300 yards south of where I live where an old wagon road used to be. At a point where the wagon road intersects two CRP fields, there is a great place to put a camera. Anyway, I've been noticing that every night, or every other night, coyotes are passing through this spot like crazy. Not just one at a time, either. The wagon road itself is several hundred yards long and they cross it at many different places. I think the reason they like it is that the road actually sits lower than the fields on either side.

I can't stand coyotes. They are super hard on our deer population, not to mention all of the bobcats we have running around that are illegal to trap or hunt. That being said, my dad and I decided to try trapping this winter season, which is in until March 15th. I watched every video and googled every forum discussion I could for about a week. I'm sure I am still missing lots of information, but this has been my process so far:

We purchased 3 MB-650s, 3 MB 550s, and 1 Bridger #3 dogless. I purchased peat moss, sheep's wool, a jar of RK's predator plus, Caven's violater 7 lure, and some red fox urine.

We placed coyote sets at various places along the wagon road where the coyotes could not access from the backside to work the set. 2" auger for the hole about a foot down. We bedded the traps about nine inches in front of the hole in a little peat moss, hammered them in using native dirt from the sides, covered with pan screening, packed with peat moss to cover, and then sifted native dirt over the top to hide and lightly brushed. I tried to manipulate any coyotes with sticks, dirt clods, and little rocks as seen on instructional videos. I used a teaspoon of RK's Predator Plus, a Q-tip amount of the Caven's lure on a stick, and a few squirts of the fox urine. Bait went down the hole with wool and lure was placed using a twig in the backing grass.

Day 1 Result - no coyotes, traps had not been messed with.

Day 2 Result - 4" of snow over night and freezing temperatures made me nervous. Now the sets were covered in snow. However, warmer rain was on the way so I just went back home and did not disturb anything.

Day 3 Result (today) - 3 of the 5 traps we set on the wagon road have been sprung. No hide or hair in any of them. 2 of them have tracks of some kind approaching them (too much snow has melted for me to be able to tell what it was), and one of the traps has zero tracks coming or going.

Can anyone tell me what they think may have happened? Can rain/snow pop sets if the pan tension is too loose? It has been freezing in temps the last 3 nights, but I'm just surprised they were tripped like that. All three of them were the MB-650s, which is ironic to me. I honestly don't know if an animal tripped them, or if they just sprung on their own. I would have thought there would have been more evidence of disturbance had an animal caused it, but I'm new at this.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Did you use rubber gloves when doing the trap work?Raccoons will set them off if there is scent on them and they will never get caught.

Did you use rubber gloves when doing the trap work?Raccoons will set them off if there is scent on them and they will never get caught.

Good question. I bought a sealed 10-pack of jersey gloves and thought I would just use a fresh pair for each trip out. I took them off when applying the bait, however.

The tracks I saw leading to one of the traps looked to be bigger than raccoon, on the other it might have been raccoon...definitely something smaller than a dog print.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You could have left scent around the trap from your pant legs also. I use a small tarp. I also use different rubber gloves for placing the baits and bedding the traps.Cotton traps a lot of scent and is released when in contact with soil..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually illegal to hunt or trap bobcats there?

furtaker

Your statement that they were MB 650s tells the tale. They are good traps but finicky about pan tension. When I first bought mine and started using them, I had some go off in the trap bed while I was making a set. You need to crank up the pan tension.

It's actually illegal to hunt or trap bobcats there?

Yes, it is illegal here in Indiana...they are looking at changing it soon because the numbers are really multiplying. Hilarious that they are trying to restore quail in the area and also introducing a bobcat population.

I have catch pole ready to release in case one of them were to be caught.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes, it is illegal here in Indiana...they are looking at changing it soon because the numbers are really multiplying. Hilarious that they are trying to restore quail in the area and also introducing a bobcat population.

I have catch pole ready to release in case one of them were to be caught.

We have an abundance of bobcats and our quail population is on an increase and has been for several years now. Bobcats and coyotes eat a lot of the smaller predators that target ground nests for eggs.

Your statement that they were MB 650s tells the tale. They are good traps but finicky about pan tension. When I first bought mine and started using them, I had some go off in the trap bed while I was making a set. You need to crank up the pan tension.

I wondered if that might be an issue...my dad checked traps again on 4-wheeler a few minutes ago...deer tracks leading to one of the MB-550s...but not sprung.

We have an abundance of bobcats and our quail population is on an increase and has been for several years now. Bobcats and coyotes eat a lot of the smaller predators that target ground nests for eggs.

Fair enough...but I will say growing up here I saw foxes all the time...but I haven't been seeing foxes regularly for many years...and I run lots of trail cameras. Bobcats continue to abound. I agree quail is getting better in my area...still a long way from where I'd like to see it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Also to much going on at a trap will make a coyote sniff and not commit.
Very seldom do I catch a coyote the first night. It usually takes a few days for me to start catching them.JME

Also to much going on at a trap will make a coyote sniff and not commit.
Very seldom do I catch a coyote the first night. It usually takes a few days for me to start catching them.JME

Yes, great point. Legally we are required to check every 24 hours in Indiana, but we try to do it on 4-wheeler from afar. The sprung traps really messed up our plan because the goal was not to set foot on the site again, but obviously had to pull the sprung traps and get them out of there. Didn't feel confident about resetting until I figured out what was happening. I think the MB-650s need to be tightened. Getting some rubber gloves is my next first step.

Mark K

Banned
I’m by no means a professional, but I do catch a critter every now and then. I can’t speak for the 650’s (not legal here) but the 550’s are set perfect out of the box.
I don’t worry about scent, there’s no way on Gods green Earth I’m not gonna leave scent in SW Georgia. Even our winters are warm, lol. I have a pair of leather gloves I use the set traps with then once all traps are set I put out bait and lure with bare hands.
Now, not familiar with the bait, but that Violator 7 is some potent stuff. Just a little will do ya. As far as urine, I try not to use to much. It seems our deer love fox pee, bobcat pee, and coyote pee. If your traps are sprung with no catch circle and nothing else disturbed, more than likely deer. I’ve watched them on a cell camera I had watching 2 coyote traps, and I hadn’t been out of the area 4 hours and they were all up around the trap smelling where I had baited and tried coyote urine...hoof prints on the jaw, lol.
The quickest I’ve ever caught a coyote is the second check. And that was setting dead where they walk, not off to the side but directly on their trail. And be careful about guiding coyotes, I’ve had better luck just getting them to shuffle their feet trying to get the bait.
And to give you hope, the first coyote I ever caught was caught in 2 week old trap that had only been baited and lured on the initial set. And I’m so jealous of y’alls Snow!! Hard to see track so in pine needles and grass covered two tracks!!

Mark K

Banned

Ouch! I know what the 550’s feel like, don’t want to feel the 650’s!! And I have read about pan tension issues with them as well.
And another question for the OP...you did clean all the grease off the traps after buying right? I don’t dye, but I do boil and wax.

furtaker

I’m by no means a professional, but I do catch a critter every now and then. I can’t speak for the 650’s (not legal here) but the 550’s are set perfect out of the box.
650s are legal as long as they are inside laminated.

Ouch! I know what the 550’s feel like, don’t want to feel the 650’s!! And I have read about pan tension issues with them as well.
And another question for the OP...you did clean all the grease off the traps after buying right? I don’t dye, but I do boil and wax.

Absolutely. Dishwasher twice...one to degrease and one to rinse.

Full metal jacket double dip and dry after that.