Newb questions

Woodshound

Hey ya'll,

Longtime lurker here ... I do a lot of backcountry hiking and fishing, but haven't hunted in years, and after a lot of thinking over the past year, I want to get back into it. That said, I've only ever deer hunted and I am interested in hogs.

Of the firearms I own, I think the closest to a hog rifle is my Remington 742 Woodsmaster BDL. 22in, 30.06. It has iron sights and is in great shape. I think I'm concerned about the range, but maybe not? What would ya'll recommend for a scope? Or rounds?

If this isn't a proper rifle, what is a good entry level hog setup that won't smash the bank?

I plan to pay a guide my first couple of times out, if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance!

stonecreek

30.06 is more than enough rifle for killing hogs. Scope depends on budget but a 3x9x40 is plenty for hogs. I’m a mid budget guy so look at some Bushnell scopes. Don’t know what type area your hunting but most of my hog kills are on the 75-150 yard range. Your 06 will reach out and smack one at a good distance farther than that. Be thinking 130-150 grain bullets. Good luck.

Woodshound

Thank you, Stonecreek! Any specific round I should work with?

Appreciate your feedback, and enjoy your holidays.

catch22

what stonecreek said, but with the .06 i would look at 150 grains and up for a hog. Nosler partition, nosler accubond, federal fusion, remington corelokt, wincehster powerpoints will all do the trick

basically anything youd hunt a deer with will work for hogs.

stonecreek

Agree with Catch 22 on your deer rounds being excellent for hogs. If it was deer rifle and dialed in with those rounds you should be good to go. Good luck

Scallen

Not sure how the land is up there, but down here in SE GA a shot at a hog rarely happens over 100 yards, most within 50-60 because the stuff they live in is just so thick.

A 30-06 is more than sufficient. However, you might give some thought to either a crossbow or air rifle - though an air rifle with enough power can be quite pricey. I use both, because it gets me the longest season on public land. If using a center fire, you can only hunt public land with it during firearms large game seasons, or if the particular WMA is open for fox and bobcat. A crossbow, on the other hand, is legal for small game, and that season runs from August 15 to February 28.

Woodshound

Thanks, Scallen - interesting you mention a crossbow. I was considering this for the longer season and because I already visit some of the WMAs (Dawson, Cohutta) for hiking and fishing. Although hauling something out of either of those two would be a real undertaking.

My plan was to start with a familiar rifle and go with a guide to learn about hogs, stalking, approach, etc; depending on how that goes, I'd definitely consider a crossbow for the longer season. Also because maybe there's not a nationwide shortage of bolts.

Reelfoot4real

Use your deer hunting skills and you'll do fine on hogs. Wind and noise need to be paid heed at all times. Scout your area for sign, set up as quiet as possible, spread out some corn mash as bait (if allowed), wait. Repeat as needed. The 742 is just fine for hogs....use one now and then that used to be my dad's. Heading to NE Tx in a few weeks to 'practice what I preach' with that 742 and a pair of 700's (30.06 &.243)