Newbie?

hullender

I just started trapping this year. Just trying for coons with dog proof traps. I have got 7 coons so far. The other day I had a dog proof that was triggered with nothing in it. Then I noticed a dead coon 20 foot away with a little of its guts hanging out. I'm guessing a yote got the coon when it was trapped. Is this common. It's not the first time I had a trap triggered with nothing in it. Just wondering what yall thought happened.

Doug B.

Welcome to the trapping forum!!! Great job on catching the coons. Keep up the good work. Feel free to post pictures of your catches here!

I'm personally not a big fan of dog proof traps. I can catch more coons in a regular foothold trap. That's not to say that dog proofs don't work, I'm just stating my preference.

I said that to say this, dogproofs have their place. I hope you catch all of the coons you want to in them. But I may not be much help since I really don't set many dog proofs.

So, did the coon have any foot damage like it had been forced out of the dog proof? It would have been on one of the front feet. It also could have been dogs. Did you see any sign anywhere around the trap?

If you are having traps emptied with no catch and the trap is still set then you need to put bait in it that the target animal has to work after. Like a marshmallow or something similar under the trigger so the coon really has to work to get it out.

It also could be mice stealing your bait. Put a golf ball on top of your dog proof. The mice can't get in it but a coon will knock the golf ball off and work after the bait. Also, don't fill your trap with bait. Your not there to feed it. Just there to catch it. A small amount of bait will attract them the same as a large amount.

2dye4

Welcome to the trapping forum hullender!!! Could have been a number of things, but without pictures it’s hard to tell.
With my DP traps, I try and put very little bait in the bottom so they have to pull the trigger.
Peanut butter stuffed beyond the trigger is my go to, but sardines work well also.

hullender

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't think about a dog could have been. Here a pic of the coon . I didn't notice any damage on his paws or see any sign around the trap.20221204_121902.jpg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Had a DP triggered and pulled tight last year, blood and hair all over, I can only guess a coyote got it

canine933

I don’t know how long that coons been there, but look at the left leg. It looks swollen and the foot looks a little damaged to me. It’s possible that it could have been pulled out of a trap.

Doug B.

I don’t know how long that coons been there, but look at the left leg. It looks swollen and the foot looks a little damaged to me. It’s possible that it could have been pulled out of a trap.
I agree. I still think it was dogs though.

hullender

It happened again. The coon was 15 feet away from the trap. There was a big catch circle around the trap. The coons foot had the bone sticking out but I didn't notice any other damage to the coon. It was a different trap about 50 yards away from the last time it happened. I'm thinking it's a dog. I would think if it was a yote it would try to eat the coon.20221211_100552.jpg

sportsman94

I would suggest skinning the coon and assessing the damage done. That would likely give clues to who your culprit is. A trail cam may also be a good thing to put up around there. Could it be dogs killing the coon then the owner pulling it from the trap?

Doug B.

I would suggest skinning the coon and assessing the damage done. That would likely give clues to who your culprit is. A trail cam may also be a good thing to put up around there. Could it be dogs killing the coon then the owner pulling it from the trap?
Skinning the coon would be a good idea to possibly help solve this mystery. I still do think it is most likely dogs and they are actually pulling the coon out of the trap. A camera is also a good idea.