Nickel plated brass

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was only pointing out that nickel plated brass is useful .... I understand your process also...

I have some...not a lot. If you run one that is starting to come off in SS media it will finish it back off to the brass.

funny...I just about set up my dies every time I use them.

Stroker

I have some...not a lot. If you run one that is starting to come off in SS media it will finish it back off to the brass.

funny...I just about set up my dies every time I use them.
I only set up my dies when I get a new rifle in same caliber. Right now I load for four different rifles chambered in .243. I sort my brass and a specific resizing die for certain rifles. Got a old Ruger and a Handi rifle I can run any brass as long as I use one specific RCBS FL die, another old Ruger and it's Remington brass and a different RCBS die, and a new Ruger American gets Hornady brass/Hornady dies. I always resize a few and then check them in that specific rifle before proceeding. Sorting the brass by brand also lets me taylor the trim length, powder charge and COL to to a specific rifle. I even have specific seating dies for the same reason, specific bullet and COL for a specific rifle. I find my system works well for me.

Big7

The Oracle
No...that was my question to Hugh....what bullets are the Federal Premium loads he's talking about ?

I've seen them loaded with Barnes, Nosler BT, Nosler Accubond, Sierra GameKing, etc.....prices all over the place accordingly.

I'll be right there with ya mighty soon, too.....won't be buying centerfire ammo other than carry loads.
The older, (as in, IDK if they are in production) Winchester Combined Technology Ballistic Tip use a projectile that was a joint venture between Winchester and Nosler. Probably the Nosler "hunting bullet", rather than the explosive "varmint bullet".
The one's given to me, about 2/3 of a box worked good. Killed a big buck the last season before our family farm sold, right after Daddy passed away.. Anyhoo... He was shot straight on in the breast plate. Dead before he hit the ground. I have a few 7MM Mag. cases. Also have about 60 for the .243 Win.

I'll pick up the thread later. Got to make a beer run. ??

Edit.. Out of that box of 7MM, that same deer I was talking about above, the first shot was a FTF. Lucky he was chasing and stopped dead still. He had no idea I was there. The FTF, upon inspection, was a bad primer. Just stored incorrectly. That was before they were given to me. Win. CTBT, 175gr. Quite the hammer of Thor..?

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Winchester has 28 loads still available

yep... a Nosler Balistic Tip with Winchester's Lubalox...don't think it reduces pressure as well as molly does...but I may be wrong.

280 Man

Banned

yep... a Nosler Balistic Tip with Winchester's Lubalox...don't think it reduces pressure as well as molly does...but I may be wrong.

It may not but that Lubalox doesn't build up in barrels like moly either! Its funny how moly was all the rage at one time but was relegated to hind teat after people figured out it was a pain to remove from barrels and for the most part didn't live up to hype that was bestowed upon it.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
i don't find it hard to remove at all
in my .260 it allows me to get an additional 100 fps with no pressure signs
basically a max load is 43.5 gr for 2734 fps and slight pressure signs in my rifle
my molly load uses 42.6 in LC brass and get 2834 with no pressure signs..unless it is really hot :D

LittleDrummerBoy

To my knowledge, there has only been one study comparing friction between a bullet coated with MS2 and the same one coated with Lubalox. This study tended to show HBN has the most promise reducing friction, but that no coating lowers friction by that much, at least not in the combinations tested.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA568594.pdf

Stroker

Merca
I can do all of what your doing with the same set of dies...and I have more money to buy powder with :D

I agree with you and I could and would do the same with one set of dies, if I had too. I purchased my 1st .243 set in 83-84, but I also have been fortunate enough to have two sets come with used rifle purchases/trades, one set was inherited, one set was when an older gentleman sold me all his reloading equipment(19 die sets). I purchased the Hornady die set just for the seating die with the floating sleeve design. Truthfully, I guess I'm just a hoarder reloader since I have die sets that I currently don't have or never owned a rifle chambered in that caliber. Guess I could maybe try and sell some, know anyone who needs some old Lyman AA die sets in .222 REM, .250 Savage, 32-20, 6.5 Rem mag, .17 Rem, or 8 mm Lebel and more. As for powder, a fireman friend said I need a hazmat sign on the front and back doors in case of fire.;)

Jester896

Senior Clown
interesting that the tests were only done with 8-14 gr of powder. also interesting that the 62 gr performed so much better at those light powder charges.

280 Man

Banned
The older, (as in, IDK if they are in production) Winchester Combined Technology Ballistic Tip use a projectile that was a joint venture between Winchester and Nosler. Probably the Nosler "hunting bullet", rather than the explosive "varmint bullet".
The one's given to me, about 2/3 of a box worked good. Killed a big buck the last season before our family farm sold, right after Daddy passed away.. Anyhoo... He was shot straight on in the breast plate. Dead before he hit the ground. I have a few 7MM Mag. cases. Also have about 60 for the .243 Win.

I'll pick up the thread later. Got to make a beer run. ??

Edit.. Out of that box of 7MM, that same deer I was talking about above, the first shot was a FTF. Lucky he was chasing and stopped dead still. He had no idea I was there. The FTF, upon inspection, was a bad primer. Just stored incorrectly. That was before they were given to me. Win. CTBT, 175gr. Quite the hammer of Thor..?

I wasn't aware that Nosler and Winchester ever built a 175 gr CTBT bullet in 284 cal.

Big7

The Oracle
I wasn't aware that Nosler and Winchester ever built a 175 gr CTBT bullet in 284 cal.
It was a few years ago. Factory loaded cartridges. I've never seen just the projectiles for sale.
Those that were given to me is the only time I ever messed with them. I have just a few cases, 7MM RM you can have if you want them. I doubt I'll ever use them.

Big7

The Oracle
Those black CTs in a silver case sure are pretty.
Those are the one's. The black coated boolits with the polycarbonate tip molded to the same color of the old "silver tips".

280 Man

Banned
It was a few years ago. Factory loaded cartridges. I've never seen just the projectiles for sale.
Those that were given to me is the only time I ever messed with them. I have just a few cases, 7MM RM you can have if you want them. I doubt I'll ever use them.

Thanks for the offer but I have no use for the brass. I use to have two 7 mags but I got rid of them when I figured out that it didn't take a magnum to kill a deer!

rosewood

My understanding was it was originally developed for duty use. Mainly for the extra rounds carried in an ammo belt for revolvers. Reduces corrosion. You leave a brass case in a leather belt for years with sweat and rain getting on it, it turns green and may get stuck. This may not be as much of an issue with magazine fed firearms these days. However, i do prefer nickel plated in my carry ammo.

I used to carry a NAA 22mag in my pocket. Hadn't shot it in a few years and opened the cylinder, had green corrosion all over the rounds. Started shopping around and found Hornady made their Critical Defense in nickel plated brass, so that is what stays in that gun now. I make it a point to use nickel brass in any gun that will be carried in my pocket for the corrosion reason. As for target ammo for most handguns, I reload whatever brass made it into the tumbler.

Rosewood

rosewood

Thanks for the offer but I have no use for the brass. I use to have two 7 mags but I got rid of them when I figured out that it didn't take a magnum to kill a deer!
Magnum is just a name. The 280 runs about the same pressures as the 7mag. So if it is a pressure thing, the 280 is a magnum also. :)