NINJA SQUIRRELS!!!

Bigbendgyrene

So here's the backstory... from December 2019 through December 2020, I had a camera placed approximately 15 feet up in a live oak tree aimed at an ancient and slowly decaying limb.

My goal was to see how many birds used the limb as a perch, and the answer was MANY (a video for another day) but what I didn't suspect was just how many INSANELY HYPER squirrel videos I would record, with the nighttime flying squirrels taking things to a whole different acrobatic level that just has to be seen to be fully appreciated!

Bigbendgyrene

That is awesome.
Thanks for the kind words, waderjon! Though maybe just a few minutes long, the compilation videos are always QUITE a labor of love! Had to dig through thousands of 10 second clips just to ID the few hundred ones that had squirrels in them, then trim & edit those clips down to what's shared. Honestly did this one to entertain my daughter as she was the one that described the flying squirrels as "Ninja squirrels!"

rosewood

I noticed in some shots of the flying squirrel, you could see the artifact of his eyes reflecting off the 2nd lens of the camera causing 2 bright orbs to the left of the log. There was another discussion where a coyote's eyes did the same in a still photo and folks thought there was 2 eyes in the trees. This video shows what is really happening.

Rosewood

rosewood

Great video. The flying squirrels are neat critters. Met a lady once that had one for a pet. Very tame little critter, would run all over you, didn't hurt a bit. She would open his cage and he would run right in. She pre-cracked his acorns for him, he was spoiled.

Rosewood

rosewood

No doubt you spent a ton of time editing and putting that video together. Thank you!

DSGB

That was cool. Those flying squirrels act more like chipmunks.

nmurph

Way back when I was in my twenties, the mother of my girlfriend at the time had several flying squirrels that she kept in a cage inside the house. They lived in a pretty terrific modern for-the-time home. It had cathedral ceilings and exposed beams and lots of loft areas. The squirrels pretty much had the run of the house during the daytime but would return to the cage in the evening and she would close them up. They were really cool critters

WayneB

should I be concerned I know who the music is by at my age? LOL
Die Antwoord. At least you found the clean version, the original is pretty raunchy.
Cool video!

nmurph

I have never heard that music before, but my son and I were sampling tunes this week for his walk-up music. There are a few bars in there that would be pretty cool. I think I'll suggest he listen to it and see if he likes any of it.

Bigbendgyrene

I have never heard that music before, but my son and I were sampling tunes this week for his walk-up music. There are a few bars in there that would be pretty cool. I think I'll suggest he listen to it and see if he likes any of it.

Don't know if it matters to you Nmurph but if so be advised that the version I shared is the "CLEAN" version! The regular version is DEFINITELY NOT G rated.

Thankfully both can be found on YouTube, so I opted for using the clean "radio" version. Ninja theme and the crazy tempo just fit the flying squirrels too well not to use it.

rosewood

Don't know if it matters to you Nmurph but if so be advised that the version I shared is the "CLEAN" version! The regular version is DEFINITELY NOT G rated.

Thankfully both can be found on YouTube, so I opted for using the clean "radio" version. Ninja theme and the crazy tempo just fit the flying squirrels too well not to use it.
Glad u did. I forwarded that to my mom and I didn't listen to the lyrics...

nmurph

Thanks!! He's 17 and a Jr in HS...he's heard worse. But still, we don't use foul language in our house. Kinda old fashioned folks, we are...