No Till Spring Mix

Dawg In the Swamp

I know for fall we generally use wheat, rye, clover and other small seeds in no till applications, but what about spring and summer mixes?

We are having ALOT of thinning and clearing done on our lease and there will be ample bare spots. Would just fertilizing these areas help bring back the browse?

Any suggestions on what to sow?

hunter_58

I know for fall we generally use wheat, rye, clover and other small seeds in no till applications, but what about spring and summer mixes?

We are having ALOT of thinning and clearing done on our lease and there will be ample bare spots. Would just fertilizing these areas help bring back the browse?

Any suggestions on what to sow?

Dawg go ahead and test the soil asap. You will get the results back in about 2 weeks. find you a place that will furnish and spread your lime while you are waiting. Correct your PH by spreading your lime as soon as possible. Go to cooperseed.com wildlife section it has a lot of good spring summer mixes.

hunter_58

It does take 6 months for lime to work just for information
yes , his spring Summer plots should still thrive, with the right mix , and he will be ready for fall and some permanent plot. test again next spring. the PH correction is more important now than the exact fertilizer rates.
if its a smaller area, pelletized lime will work faster, but more expensive. we use pelletized lime to help jump start the PH on new plots. knowing the size of the plot will help a lot. good luck

Good pointer hunter58. What do you suggest planting. I am actually looking at putting in something for help feed the turkeys this year and later put in for deer?

gadeerwoman

to feed the turkeys this year you can still plant winter wheat and clovers. Once the weather warms up in late spring you can even overseed some buckwheat, millet, sorghum, alyce clovers, etc. But you have to go heavier on the larger seeds to get much up since the birds will do a number on the seeds. Long as the seeds touch the ground and you get some good rains on it immediately after seeding you'll get some stand.

Dawg In the Swamp

Thanks for the info all.

Chad

gadeerwoman

You could seed white clovers and red clovers now. If you wait until May or so I'd seed only alyce clover and buckwheat. Alyce is an annual. The ladinos and some of the reds are perennials. Turkeys love clovers. They also love that buckwheat once the soil gets warm enough to plant it.

hunter_58

add about 2lbs per acre of chicory and 3lbs per acre of small burnet and 10 lbs per acre of aeschynomene to the above mixes deer and turkey will love it, it will also provide excellent brood rearing for quail and turkey. good luck