Northern Arizona

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I have a chance to Elk/deer hunt public land in Arizona this fall. Never been out there or hunted Elk or Mule deer. Any of you guys been out there? Is it worth a try?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a chance to Elk/deer hunt public land in Arizona this fall. Never been out there or hunted Elk or Mule deer. Any of you guys been out there? Is it worth a try?
Never been there, but I'd sure love to.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Absolutely worth it. Arizona is one of the hardest places for a non res. to get a tag.

Ive never gotten to hunt there but spent some time there camping in september. The elk were in a canyon below our camp bugiling all night.

I would research the unit and see whats better as far as deer / elk.

Buckstop

Haven’t hunted there but have spent some time in the NW New Mexico, four corners area and visited the Kaibab area in northern AZ. There are some massive mule deer there in the Kaibab. The late hunt there is the rut when the big ones move down to lower elevation and is very hard to draw. The earlier hunts are easier to draw but the deer are more dispersed in the higher elevations. Its a beautiful area.

plumber_1969

I've said this before and I will say it again. You go out west, it will change you forever. There is no way to describe the vastness of those public lands. There is nothing you've ever hunted in the Southeast that would compare to the sounds of a bull elk bugling at dawn. Walking through those mountains is my annual therapy. If you don't kill anything, you can look back and say that you did it. It will challenge your body like nothing else. Hiking with a heavy pack at 8000 - 12000 feet, the crisp air, morning frost and the bluest skies you've ever seen. Animals you will not see here. By the way, the mule deer must be a tad bit dumber than our armadillo because we were throwing rocks at them. Not exactly a skittish animal. Again, go and enjoy yourself while you can. Our time here is passing daily and we only have so much of it left. Don't leave this world wishing you did that.

HughW2

Absolutely worth it. Good access with public land. I used a guide and would recommend a guide if you have never hunted elk before.