Location sharing app?

AliBubba

I was with a friend hunting on public land. We had a hard time finding each other to drag a deer out. Does anyone know of a location sharing app that supports topo maps and "go to"? Thanks!

Hillbilly stalker

Onx does. As long as you have the person in your contacts and they have Onx. It goes thru as a text message and they can touch the "go to" or "Navigate to" button. You can also mark a place such as a creek crossing or feed tree, drop a pin and then share it with your buddy. Only the original sender can edit the share. They cannot share it with a 3rd party. Its very simple to use.

Toliver

Onx does. As long as you have the person in your contacts and they have Onx. It goes thru as a text message and they can touch the "go to" or "Navigate to" button. You can also mark a place such as a creek crossing or feed tree, drop a pin and then share it with your buddy. Only the original sender can edit the share. They cannot share it with a 3rd party. Its very simple to use.
I've heard people talk about this app. How reliable is it in weak signal areas? I know some of my stuff works better than others in Low S environments. Since I hunt alone I suppose I should give my wife some way of finding my body.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I've heard people talk about this app. How reliable is it in weak signal areas? I know some of my stuff works better than others in Low S environments. Since I hunt alone I suppose I should give my wife some way of finding my body.
You download a map for a specific area and it tracks you via satellite.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Screen shots share.

Hillbilly stalker

Its reliable. If you know your going to an area that the signal is weak, you can download the maps for that grid. Its very simple. When the maps have been downloaded, it doesn't matter if you have phone signal or not, you can still navigate because you are working off the satellites. You could share you location with your wife and she would have a 8 digit grid coordinates.

AliBubba

Garmin's InReach does not require cell or GPS services. It uses the Iridium satellites for messaging and sends your location with map to who you designate. Pricy with a month $15 monthly subscription.

Last edited:

AliBubba

I guess one sludgy way is to copy your coordinates and send to your friend (if cell service is available) and have them copy coordinates to their GPS app and do a go-to/navigate.

AliBubba

Try Life360. Both parties need to download and include each other. Then allows for location. Wife and I have used it for years.
Its free too.
Does it support topo maps that can be downloaded since many WMAs either don't or have strong cell services?

GeorgeShu

I don’t think it does topos but it does have aerial photo maps. Relies on signal strength in my experience. In my experience it will pin point to the tree I was setting in and can do the same with a partner. Accurate if you have signal. Hope this helps.

Sargent

If you have cell service, "Find My" works as a native app on Apple devices (both have to be Apple).

I'm sure there is something similar for Android.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to have any signal at all. I use it way back in the mountains where there isn't a trace of cell signal. Download the map of your area, and it runs off your phone's GPS instead of a cell signal.