Not quite yellow popper time

Esau

To answer your questions. I use a clinch knot. I have to wear my readers to do it, I'm 56. On streamers I strip line I do not use the rod tip a lot. You have a lot of leverage with a 9' rod. I like strike indicators. They make a bunch of different kinds. I use Orvis ones they are orange and yellow and utilize a little bone shaped piece of rubber to stay in place. I have been fly fishing for 20 years now and I absolutely love it. I do still go down to the river and drown a worm now and then though.

oldguy

Oh you won't need a strike indicator when fishing sub-surface in a farm pond. You will know well enough when a fish hits! Others may do it differently, but here's how I do it. Use either a bead head WB or add a tiny (trout fishing size) split shot. Cast and in the time it takes to start the retrieve it'll be sinking. I usually strip 6 or so inches at a time. Keep the line between your index finger and the cork with your rod hand. Gotta' maintain line control (#1!). Keep the rod pointed towards the cast and low to the water. When a fish hits pull down on the line and lift the rod. If you're not getting strikes give it time to sink and vary the speed of retrieve. Maintaing a tight connection between the rod and line is important. No rod movement necessary - slack line not good. When you first cast watch the line as the fly sinks, if it twitches set the hook! Lots of fish hit on the drop.
You might try s-l-o-w-l-y trolling around in a pond/lake to find fish.
Look up tying a dropper using a surgeon's knot. That way you can fish two different flies - give 'em a choice.
Two helpful hints: #1 Get you some "Cat Eyes" (google). BIG help tying knots with aging eyes! I still use improved clinch. #2 LL Bean Fly Fishing for Bass Handbook - More bettern' than any u-tube.
Four to add to your sub-surface collection - McGinty, Wooly Worm, Hare's Ear nymph, and Bluegill Bee!
GOOD LUCK!

fish hawk

Bass Master
Also, when fishing a streamer or wooly bugger in a farm pond, do you strip line or use the rod tip plus strip line when working the lure? Last question - do you use a strike indicator when fishing below the surface in a farm pond?
I will typically fish a wooly bugger or something comparable like a rubber legged dragon after I've located a bed,I like to cast it on top of the bed and let it sink after it sits there a few seconds I will just use small strips to bring it back in,small strip then let it sink let it sit a couple seconds, repeat.I don't use a strike indicator as I just watch my line,when you see it jump set the hook,most of the time they hit it pretty hard .