Old credit card

ScLowCountry

Get the statements and see if someone has been using your card.

It appears you have had charges in the last 12 years. I know you said you haven't used it in the last 12.

That bill is for the interest on those purchases from your last billing cycle that was not calculated yet when you paid the balance in full.

I'm surprised you let that card go on minimum payments for that long. You had the money in the bank. I would hate to know how much interest you paid

Last edited:

ucfireman

The only reason to worry about closing it and your score is if you may make a purchase in the near future.
If you got good credit to begin with who cares if it takes a 10-50 point move down, If you aint buying nothing it dont matter.
You score will pop back up in 6 months or so and go on about your business.

Close it and go on about your life.

LTZ25

Congrats on paying the Am/Ex off , call them they will explain the bill . On their cards they have a member since date , I've had one since 1979 , I'm getting old . I'm old school with them never carried a balance and never been late on a payment . Use to be you had to pay every month in full . I'm no bragging its just a fun fact with having a card 44 years .

Shadow11

The item that you pictured clearly states that you must write the 15 digit account number on all payments. I suspect that number is located somewhere on the document you have pictured. If it is not call and ask them how you are to pay since you don't have the number and let them know that you are recording the call.
It's not. It only lists the last 5 digits

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Well then, that would make their bill impossible to pay. Wouldn't it?

ryanh487

You will owe interest for the time period that a balance was carried between the date of the statement before you paid it off and the date of your payment. That's the $14.10. You also do not want to close the account, it is one of your older accounts and it will ding your credit score badly to close it. Leave it open. The age of the account and available credit on the account, even if you never touch it again, will both add to your credit score.

tad1

I just let an old credit card lapse. It was a card that I seldom use and have not used it in the past few years. The oldest of the cards that I have. I got an email saying if I didn’t use it by a certain date that account would be closed. Considered using it to keep it rolling.
Currently have at least two other cards, utilities, mortgage records, etc.
I do not foresee needing a new line of credit, loan, etc. anytime soon, so just let it fly.
Will it negatively affect my credit? Not sure…
JT

tad1

Dad went to either buy a new truck or do a home improvement loan I believe and he had zero credit because he has no debt. So he’s got a long-running successful business, has a mortgage paid off, and a couple rental properties, does not have any credit. He certainly had some credit card he would use and pay the balance monthly. Anyway, he either had a poor or nonexistent credit score.
I thought that was pretty funny…

SarahFair

Dad went to either buy a new truck or do a home improvement loan I believe and he had zero credit because he has no debt. So he’s got a long-running successful business, has a mortgage paid off, and a couple rental properties, does not have any credit. He certainly had some credit card he would use and pay the balance monthly. Anyway, he either had a poor or nonexistent credit score.
I thought that was pretty funny…
That's me.
I've paid everything cash all my life, so I don't even exist in the credit world.
I guess I'm going to have to start looking for a credit card soon in case I need credit one day :rolleyes: