Old Rem 700 Trigger Replacement & Scope?

TomC

I have an older Rem 700 BDL .243 bought new around 1983. I'm going to update it in the off season with a new trigger and stick a fixed 6x Leupold scope on it. I've read some old threads but a couple of questions!

1) Will the following Timmey Trigger work my old Rem 700?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373

2) This is the Leupold Scope I am going to get:
https://www.leupold.com/fx-3-6x42-wide-duplex-riflescope

Whats a good set of scope rings for the scope that will fit my old Remington?

Appreciate a direct link to the scope rings so I don't order the wrong ones. Thanks!

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
I'm liking DNZ one piece base now.
The whole mount is 3 pieces and it bolts right to the receiver. Solid, very robust mount.

Prolly about 50$

Last edited:

TomC

i could use an old trigger like that
I had a an issue with gun a number of years back (surprise boom) and I am very careful but I can't say for certain that it wasn't operator error. Since then I've read about the recall on these guns and even though mine is older than those recalled there seems to be a lot of sentiment that the trigger issue is long standing on Rem 700's. Thus my thoughts on sticking a new trigger in it just for peace of mind.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes, that trigger will work..like jgleen I use the Trigger Tech in several of mine.

TomC

Thanks Jester, appreciate the links on the scope base / rings. Wasn't sure if these older 700's took bases that might be different that the current ones!

rmp

I like the dual dovetails myself but it’s mostly personal preferences.
Timney makes a solid trigger. I’ve used the standard 510’s and Calvin Elites but not that model specifically. I wouldn’t be spooked to try one.

Rings

Bases

Nice choice of optic. I still like a fixed power for big game although I don’t have as many Leupolds these days.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I replace all of my 700 triggers for peace of mind and also performance. TriggerTech is my go too these days as well. DNZ would be my choice for mounts if you’re not trying to spend a bunch of money.

FlipKing

For scope mounts, maybe look into Leupold Back Country one piece mounts. I really like those on my 700 style rifles. Also my higher end 700 rifle style rifles use the trigger techs as well. Highly recommend them.

TomC

Nice choice of optic. I still like a fixed power for big game although I don’t have as many Leupolds these days.

The fixed 6 is about the only Leupold that impresses me under $1500. I think people still buy tons of Leupolds just because of the gold ring and the history of that gold ring but I can think of many other options in a variable power scope I'd buy before a Leupold these days. Had one of the latest VariX III's on a Tikka a few years back, that scope was sold after one season!

I have an OLD Rem 700 7 Mag from the early 70's (probably ought to update that trigger too) that has one of the EARLIEST Leupold Vari XIII's on it. That scope will never come off, it was Daddy's!

I love love this 243, its my favorite rifle and has a PERFECT tract record but haven't used it as much lately due to the scope. Has a wide view Weaver scope that Dad put on it when he gave it to me when I was in 5th grade. The wide view Weaver is more than showing its age, hard to see clear early and late anymore. I hate to take it off but have decided I want to grow old hunting with this 243 cause their just ain't no better deer rifle PERIOD than a .243 and particulary the .243 that got you started. That fixed 6 ought to be perfect!

Last edited:

rmp

Tom, lots I agree with there. To keep things civil, I won’t get much into optics but I do like the M8’s, FXII’s, FXIII’s, & had one FX3. Out of 6 fixed powers, only one had to go back to Oregon and it was built by the custom shop. Go figure.

I like what you are doing. If only those old rifles could talk.

Dan DeBord

I took a Remington model 7 to Moss in Jasper. Used gun . He checked trigger and gun in general. What he said about Remington triggers was very interesting. With minor adjustments on the factory trigger, it's one of the most smoothest triggers I've ever pulled. I own several and have pulled several in 50+ years of hunting.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
No link for you, but my 700 wears a DNZ mount and a Calvin Elite trigger. No complaints with either.
I have several rifles with the DNZ mounts on them, I really like them.

rmp

For a single stage hunting trigger a properly maintained Walker does a great job. I like the old ones with the lever to lock the bolt closed when on “safe”. I’ve got 4 or 5 of those now. The bolt body must have the recess cut in it though, depending on vintage. The pull weight is good for hunting too IMO.

I had a Bix & Andy on one of my lighter model 700 rifles some years ago. Way up in the Timber and realized my bolt had come open. Probably from a branch or rubbed against my pac. Swapped in an old Walker and haven’t lost a moments sleep since. I was once a complete trigger snob.

Like anything, it depends a lot on the service and one’s expectations. In the 2lb-3lb range, I don’t think any of the popular choices will disappoint.

TomC

This old Rem 700 243 hasn't been shot that much over the years. It's killed quite a few deer, always test shot before the season to make sure she was "ON" but that's it and overall not that many pills down the tube in terms of the life of a barrel.

It was about 10 years ago I had the "surprise boom" and at that time I was not aware of any recalls on the 700 triggers / safety mechanisms. Again, I try be extremely cautious around guns, all guns all the time particularly when loading and unloading. I just assumed that day that I did something stupid, not paying attention as over the course of a lifetime we probably all do something stupid or don't pay attention for a brief moment even those of us that put gun safety at the top of the priority list. Best I can recall and it was a number of years ago and the exact sequence I can't remember exactly but best I can recall I either engaged or disengaged the safety and the gun fired. It shook me that day but I just assumed that I messed up, had that momentary lapse, whatever. I will still and always assume that it was operator error on my part that day. My hopefully once in a lifetime goof and was fortunate that the barrel was pointed down.

Since then I've heard about these Rem 700's going off unexpectedly due to a safety malfunction with quite a few thinking the issue is an issue even on the older Rem 700's not recalled. I'll take the blame for that day but its got me paranoid thinking maybe it wasn't me. Will never know for sure but a new trigger is going in it!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I like the old ones with the lever to lock the bolt closed when on “safe”.
ran across one of those last week at my buddy's shop. It was on an older B series action, but I think it is older than that.

I don't think you can close the bolt when the safety is on IIRC...not 100% on that.

most of the problems I see with Walkers are there is goo inside them or it has been improperly adjusted. Some wear and no adjustments made but those are few.

Last edited:

rmp

image.jpgYep, most I’ve seen are untouched from the factory but lack the necessary maintenance (read cleaning). A bit of lighter fluid does a good job.

You can close the bolt when on safe. At least on all of mine. The locking lever (sorry, unsure of official term) is hitting the round of the bolt body upon closing and drops into the recess. Hopefully the details show up in this photo.

jglenn

the comment from Jester about cleaning the old walker trigger is SOOOO true.. how many folks that read this have ever cleaned their trigger.. walkers are fine if you keep them clean using lighter fluid(no oil !!)