Old school dentist all gone

leroy

No thanks. Heard too many stories from my parents about teeth pulling with no anesthesia. The ones who recently retired used to try and sell stuff too. Should be a one time very quick conversation not to hear it next trip.

Dang how old are your parents? Novocaine has been used since the early 1900's. They didn't go to dentist, they went to Al Qaeda terrorist trying to extract information and a tooth.
Im soon to be 56 and my early childhood dentist did work without novocaine, then started going to one when i was 13-14 who would put the gas on you and leave you for 15-20+ min lol so went from one end of spectrum to the other lol

Redbow

The old dentist I started out with did not have any X-Ray equipment and he used an old belt driven drill. He also did not believe in novacaine for a filling, only to pull one. I remember when he got his first high powered drilling tool he loved it but I hated it. And the man didn't mind hurting you every now and then either. If you complained he would say, oh hush up.

sinclair1

wish I would have read this thread before spending $2500 on a few implants yesterday....
You need those white teeth that are almost blue out there selling those Cobb county mansions :bounce:
I am trying to stay a few notches above Mountain Dew Mouth.

leroy

The old dentist I started out with did not have any X-Ray equipment and he used an old belt driven drill. He also did not believe in novacaine for a filling, only to pull one. I remember when he got his first high powered drilling tool he loved it but I hated it. And the man didn't mind hurting you every now and then either. If you complained he would say, oh hush up.
Sounds like my early childhood dentist lol Dr Brinson

GeorgiaGlockMan

Im soon to be 56 and my early childhood dentist did work without novocaine, then started going to one when i was 13-14 who would put the gas on you and leave you for 15-20+ min lol so went from one end of spectrum to the other lol
I don't like the dentist....stems from the old school dentist.

I hit that dentist right where it counted when I was 7 or 8. My mom about beat me to death...no treasure box either. On next visit he was a little more gentle but my mom found a new dentist. May not have been her choice.

I am like a dog that don't like to be held down.

I have them gas me for even cleanings now.

leroy

I don't like the dentist....stems from the old school dentist.

I hit that dentist right where it counted when I was 7 or 8. My mom about beat me to death...no treasure box either. On next visit he was a little more gentle but my mom found a new dentist. May not have been her choice.

I am like a dog that don't like to be held down.

I have them gas me for even cleanings now.
My regular dentist now will give you gas but sparingly, dentist i referred in earlier post would leave it 15-20 min just would walk by and ask if you were ok lol.

Redbow

My cousin bit his dentist one time when he was a boy the dentist was hurting him pretty badly. The dentist hauled off and slapped my cousin pretty hard with his Mom standing right there watching. Did my Aunt get mad with the dentist, not at all. She told the man do whatever you have to do doc to make him behave himself. His daddy will attend to him when we get home.

I can see a dentist slapping a kid now days and getting by with it.

Hunter922

Corporate Dentists.. mine retired and all the hygienist left. The girl that took over the practice wanted me to have everything under the Sun done and I haven't had a cavity in 25 Years.. Went to a family practice dentist closer to my house, problem solved.

basstrkr

An old dentist did a root canal on me for an upper tooth. He drilled a hole all the way to my brain and then squirted cold water in it. I bout come out of the chair. I think he enjoyed that a little bit.

specialk

after moving to GA in '85 i found out a friend of my dads was using a dentist within walking distance and the friend lived 30 miles away!. Good guy, loved to fish, belonged to at the time Margery Farms hunt/fish club now Marben PFA....anyway i moved south of ATL about 4-5 yrs later and looked for a new guy....a little small office in an old house re-done for an office nearby fit the bill.....come to find out he knew my old dentist, in fact they were roomates in college at one time!!....another funny thing shortly after that my original dentist sold his practice and ''floated'' in a motor home to other dentists who would need extra short term help from time to time and he would help me new dentist some....crazy/weird!....last i heard both had passed away...

oldfella1962

I finally had actual work done on my teeth (two fillings) after decades of only having cleanings & checkups every six months. I was amazed at how painless it was! :) I don't know if equipment & techniques are better than they were back in the day, or what the reason is. Regardless, all I remember is pain & plenty of it compared to my recent experience.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My old dentist was a hunter, new one is too. Couple of fillings and two crowns over the years, and I’ve never hurt a bit. Been going since I got teeth back in about 82.

Baroque Brass

I went to the same dentist for years until we moved to South Georgia. He was good and kept up with technology. When it was time for cleaning I said I had to go to Jessica's torture chamber. It was a tortuous way to spend two hours a year. She was good but she hurt me frequently. My new dentist is a gal in her early forties and she’s good. Very conscientious about whether I’m sensing pain. Her hygienist is great, she does a great job relatively pain free. They’ve never tried to sell me anything I don’t need.

Geffellz18

I like my dentist-We’re the same age, and I’ve been going to him for nearly 20 yrs now. I’m about an hour away from him now, but my work takes me to the general area so I’m not moving.
He fortunately doesn’t try to sell me on anything-Maybe one of the two visits he says to let him know if I want to do anything about the tooth that’s slightly discolored from a root canal he did when I first started going to him. Actually the only reason I started going to him because my daughter head butted me as a toddler and killed the nerve.
Simply cosmetic so we get our cleaning and keep it moving for 6 more months!

sbroadwell

That field has changed a bunch. Had a root canal in the early 70s and it hurt, a lot. Had a couple more a few years ago and no pain whatsoever.
You can now get a crown or replacement tooth while you wait. My dentist has a CNC milling machine that makes them, but he told me he’s saving up for a 3D printer.

oldfella1962

I like my dentist-We’re the same age, and I’ve been going to him for nearly 20 yrs now. I’m about an hour away from him now, but my work takes me to the general area so I’m not moving.
He fortunately doesn’t try to sell me on anything-Maybe one of the two visits he says to let him know if I want to do anything about the tooth that’s slightly discolored from a root canal he did when I first started going to him. Actually the only reason I started going to him because my daughter head butted me as a toddler and killed the nerve.
Simply cosmetic so we get our cleaning and keep it moving for 6 more months!
I've never had a root canal. Hopefully I'll never need one. But from what I've heard, I'll be wanting - but probably not getting - morphine. :(