Old School Pig 'n Jig

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was 18 when I caught my first ten pounder. Talking about the Pig and Jig, A friend and I used them in the Chattahoochee river at Goat Rock, Bartletts Ferry and Riverview to catch some large spotted bass. Some went over five pounds, 1980's. Before plastics, My dad and I used pork rind eels. They came in a bottle of brine.

Attachments

• 10 pounder.jpg
    10 pounder.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 47

JROESEL

Man y’all brought back some child hood memories, my dad still has boxes with those ole porks in them, the tops are all rusted shut I believe, I remember trying to get those on and off the hook, in the bottom of the Jon boat, then getting the die off your hands!!!
That’s when you could put in at snake creek and fish hundreds of stumps before you got to glovers, use to call it the pasture, caught my biggest large lip in that stretch in 1995 on a ol nelle buzz bait, and yes those pictures you had to shake :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 38

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Hard to beat slow rolling a jig and pig off the bottom, I still use them myself but haven't used any uncle Josh's pork in a long time. All I've got these days is plastic.

ErikD

I skip jigs a lot. Even with glue plastic doesn't last. I want to use pork but don't even know where to find it. I am 38 it fell out of favor about 25 years ago. I remember using it when I was younger. I also remember how hard it was to get off a hook once it dried into a rind.

TJay

I fished with pork quite a bit "back in the day". There were a lot of times a green pork frog would be attached to a Johnson Silver spoon too. Once the summer hit there would be these huge areas of thick hydrilla. I'd hook a pork frog to a Johnson Silver spoon and throw it out in the middle of the hydrilla and start reeling almost before it hit. Nine times out of ten it would turn over with the hook sticking up and had this nice side to side wobble. Sometimes they'd hit it in the thick stuff and some times when it hit an opening but wherever it hit you'd better start cranking right away if you were going to get him out. Fun times.