Older Folks/Country Folks/Old School Manners

leroy

Younger folks, especially of a particular demographic, don’t have respect for others. My wife and I were in a restaurant when a young couple sat near us and every other word they said seemed to f this and mf that. We were about done anyway so we left.
I've noticed that in younger generation, don't care who is around kids, women etc they just let it roll. Driving school bus and seeing how some act, kindergarten kids using f bombs etc then u pull up to where they live and have a conversation with the parents and see the apple didn't fall far from the tree, sad situations.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
How many others on here have such manners ingrained into their DNA that are probably common in most rural areas of the country?

For example, driving along a rural road and you automatically lift your hand off the steering wheel to signal "Hi" when meeting another vehicle. Automatic for both drivers, even if you are hundreds of miles from home. Because it might happen to be someone you know.

Greetings to even strangers in public and holding the door for them if you both get there around the same time. Extra wait with the door if a lady, handicapped person, or even a store vendor pushing a hand truck is approaching. Etc.
The entire world is gone. Can't even take your kids to a restaurant without them hearing words I never heard till I joined the Marines and people don't think a thing about it... and the waiters and waitresses aren't much better.

Oldstick

The entire world is gone. Can't even take your kids to a restaurant without them hearing words I never heard till I joined the Marines and people don't think a thing about it... and the waiters and waitresses aren't much better.
Yep, I agree. The worst experience I ever had with that topic was one trip to a Braves Game at Turner Field. Before they bulldozed the old stadium to build the parking area. My BIL lived in the ATL area (still does), we were all going together, and he suggested coming to their house and taking MARTA from the east to near the stadium, then the shuttle buses to the stadium. No problem getting there, but the bus ride late that night back to MARTA there were two obviously intoxicated guys on a bus full of families. They seemed to be intentionally talking as loud as possible with every vulgarity known to man about nothing important. Intending to offend everyone else on the bus. Lots of subtle comments directed to them after everyone got off the bus. I don't think anyone was armed and it was lucky for them, because they were definitely outnumbered.

Wish there would have been a couple of 6 ft+ off duty Marines without wife and kids on the bus. I would have loved to see that result outside. (y)

Last edited:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
No cussing or slamming doors in our house growing up. Our boys was raised to not cuss in front of lady's and don't dare go through their pocketbooks. First and foremost, treat not only your elders, but everyone with respect.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
No cussing or slamming doors in our house growing up. Our boys was raised to not cuss in front of lady's and don't dare go through their pocketbooks. First and foremost, treat not only your elders, but everyone with respect.
Whew boy. I’ve had my butt whipped many a time for slamming a door and sometimes it wasn’t even on purpose. You didn’t let a door slam in our house. Those screen door springs added 1/2 inch to the hide on my rear end.

Reactions: Dub

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Whew boy. I’ve had my butt whipped many a time for slamming a door and sometimes it wasn’t even on purpose. You didn’t let a door slam in our house. Those screen door springs added 1/2 inch to the hide on my rear end.
Glad I'm not the only one. I still cringe when I hear a door slam.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My office is in Atlanta. You would be surprised at the weird looks I get when I say “sir” or “ma’am”. It almost like some folks get offended by it.
They do,can’t give you a good reason but they do. You can tell pretty quick, give a woman in a public business a thank you ma’am and she’ll either return your pleasantry or clam up like she was in pain.

oldfella1962

Respect is a lost concept by many these days.

Seldom earned yet often demanded.

The erosion of values is proportional to the decline of family structure and absence of discipline in the household.

I also believe we have stepped further away from demonstrating to our kids the importance of having their own relationship with God.

The behaviors that parents model is what is passed along.
Hmmm.....basically zero "God stuff" in three generations or so, but my family is respectful & well mannered. :huh:

• Sad

Whit90

I am 34. I wasn't raised in the country or rural area by an means. I was raised is Gwinnett county and still live here... unfortunately... But I have all ways done these things. I too am seeing these types of actions a lot less these days.

Hillbilly stalker

My daddy was pretty strict growing up. Kids were going to be quiet when adults are talking. No elbows on the table. No hats inside. Everybody washed their hands before eating. No back sassing or saying huh ? Or what ? No running in the house. Men went outside to smoke a cigarett. It was considered trashy for a woman to smoke, by about everyone. Only time you saw tattoo’s were usually a globe & anchor on a forearm of a Marine Vet or an anchor on a Navy vet. Men held doors for women and gave up their seat no questions asked, I still do and taught my son the same.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep, same as everybody else. There were a few rules that if you broke them daddy inflicted blunt trauma because you knew what the rule was and there was no excuse for breaking it.

I still see lots of people behaving themselves out in the rural areas. ATL is shot out. Too many foreigners, Yankees and California trash with no manners at all have ruined it. I hate them all. Sometimes I curse them out loud when they do especially rude stuff.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thank you.

I can make it even quicker by reducing to the last two sentences. (y)
I heard a man once say, 'What one generation tolerates, the next will openly embrace'

Man, is that ever true. And people wonder why we see so many trans-this or thats, and all the body mutilations. It's craziness