Older Folks/Country Folks/Old School Manners

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Reminds me of one happening when I was much younger. I held a door open for a female who in a pretty cocky voice told me and everyone else within earshot that she was perfectly capable of opening her own door. I replied, "Not if I get there first."
I got some chuckles out of that one.
I’d have let go and let it knock her teeth out

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Why that would make you not a gentleman, sir. I took pleasure in watching her stew in her own helplessness. LOL

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Still haven’t figured out why wearing a hat indoors is “disrespectful”
Yep. That always seemed silly to me. I’m more concerned about how someone acts, than how they look or what they’re wearing. And I’m a hat wearing son of a gun.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The hat thing is similar to the hand shake thing and the hand wave thing. They both go way back in history and are a sign of trust between individuals. At one point in history it was important to show an open hand to prove there was no weapon present. This grew into the grasping an open hand and the modern hand shake.

Similarly in ancient times a helmet was removed in the presence of superiors as a sign of trust, fidelity and respect. This same sign of respect was awarded to the ladies and grew into the practice of removing one's hat indoors, in the presence of a lady, as a sign of respect for a deceased person, or when a prayer is offered.

Today the removal of hats seems to be rapidly going the way of the buggy whip and the neck tie.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The removal of the hat likely goes back to similar roots as the salute. Protective visors being raised to identify one’s self is the root of the salute. As helmets, sometimes with garish adornments, weren’t needed indoors they were removed so all present could identify each other. This evolved into removing the helmet to show respect to royalty. Finally hats, the remnant of the helmet, removed out of respect.

This old figurine shows a knight with helmet removed praying. Removed in church out respect.

IMG_2785.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldstick

Still haven’t figured out why wearing a hat indoors is “disrespectful”
I would never wear one inside church or a funeral or anything like that. But anywhere else, I can assure you with my oily hair you would most likely rather me leave it on. More and more so as the day wears on. (y)

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Ate at Mrs. Paul’s today in Dawson, held the door for two ladies and a man. All were appreciative and said as much. Yes ma’am to the cashier and the lady fixing my drink, both southern polite. Still good folks in the small towns. Those older ladies in the back can flat cook some good grub as well.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Ate at Mrs. Paul’s today in Dawson, held the door for two ladies and a man. All were appreciative and said as much. Yes ma’am to the cashier and the lady fixing my drink, both southern polite. Still good folks in the small towns. Those older ladies in the back can flat cook some good grub as well.

That old place has been serving good food for a long time now. We lost Miz Paul recently. She passed away but it looks like the cafe is in good hands.

fireman32

That old place has been serving good food for a long time now. We lost Miz Paul recently. She passed away but it looks like the cafe is in good hands.
Well dang, I didn’t know she had passed on. Hadn’t been in that area at lunch time in awhile. I’m glad they’re keeping it going. There was a good crowd like always.

buckmanmike

Where is Mrs. Paul's. I get through Dawson occasionally and have never seen it. Been to the 2 Mexican restaurants there.

Sargent

Not waving when someone lets you into traffic should be a ticketable offense.

No swearing in mixed company.
Always open doors
Stop to help someone
Always have a pocketknife
If you don't have something good to say, don't talk
Hat off at dinner or supper
Ma'am or sir to everyone
General politeness
Don't get drunk in public
Firm handshake
Eye contact
Smile

I try to adhere to these as much as I can.

earlthegoat2

It may come as a surprise to many here but it’s the same way up north in most of the rural areas.

DannyW

Not waving when someone lets you into traffic should be a ticketable offense.

No swearing in mixed company.
Always open doors
Stop to help someone
Always have a pocketknife
If you don't have something good to say, don't talk
Hat off at dinner or supper
Ma'am or sir to everyone
General politeness
Don't get drunk in public
Firm handshake
Eye contact
Smile

I try to adhere to these as much as I can.
Was at a family memorial party yesterday in Baldwin. Must have been 100 people there. A lady walked up to me and said "Excuse me but I have a loose thread on my blouse. Do you happen to have a pocket knife?"

I replied "of course" and proceeded to flick open my knife and cut the offending loose thread. The funny thing was there were people all around us, and no one even flinched at the metallic 'snick' of the knife opening.

If this had been in Atlanta, half the people would have run away screaming and the other half would have drawn a gun on me.

fireman32

Where is Mrs. Paul's. I get through Dawson occasionally and have never seen it. Been to the 2 Mexican restaurants there.
Definitely worth the stop. They start getting busy about 11:15 and close at 2 if I’m not mistaken.
Additional parking around back if the front is full.
IMG_0813.png