Operator error - line twist filling a spinning reel with mono

Richf7

Maybe the old brain ain't what it used to be, but while filling my reel with fresh mono today the line was coming off the spool twisted before making it onto the reel. I've been using this brand for years and never experienced a problem before. The spool sits on a nail on my workbench and comes off clockwise while the reel turns clockwise. I sprayed the line spool with Reel Magic but saw no difference. I don't want to hit the water with a bunch of line twist. I've been doing this for years. ***??

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Walk the line off while walking around your yard/trees/house. Reel it back in under tension, but keep walking away from the line (dragging it further with you) while you do so. Make sure there is nothing tied on the end while you do this...

little rascal

Hook a spool of line to your reel and thru all the eyes on rod. Lay the line spool flat down. Start reeling, stop, put some slack in the line down at rod tip and spool. If it twists, turn the spool of line over and resume. Stop and check again. It should not be twisting. Now mark that spool with a sharpie that says this side up for later use.
If you put wide spools of line on a small diameter spinning reel you will still get some twist.

little rascal

I partially fill my reels with cheap junk line and then top off the last 80 to 100 yards with a good line to line knot and finish filling with premium line. Can get several line changes out of those small line spools. However i buy bulk spools and they last a really long time. You waste so much line that will never see daylight when you fill a reel from empty to the top.

Richf7

Good advice, LR. Last night I filled two different size reels with the same 6# test line after soaking it in warm water. This morning the larger spool had no twist but the line coming off the smaller reel was awful. I'm also adding more line to the reels than I have been hoping to improve casting distance...wondering if the smaller reel wouldn't be better off with 4# test.

hipster dufus

I put line on all my reels as backing, electrical tape, then whatever size im using. Both spinning n baitcasters. I walk up my driveway to get proper amount, maybe 180 ft. Saves line