Interesting Website

Geffellz18

The only sophisticated feller I found in my family tree was on my main paternal Parker line. He was a feller named William Parker who was the Archdeacon of Cornwall back in the early 1600s. One of his grandsons was the first Parker of my line to flee to America, after getting crosswise with Oliver Cromwell in the English Civil War. His other descendants, many of whom were "Sir" so-and-so, still live in a fancypants estate in England that looks like the Biltmore House. They probably wear neckties to eat supper. I've threatened to fly over there and show up knocking on their door in a pair of camo shorts, Reef flipflops, a Skynyrd Tshirt, and a Carharrt cap, telling them I'm their long-lost cousin. :rofl:
Reef flip flops-You just showing off now!

ChidJ

I was on there a mere 30 mins. before I started finding mistakes that they won't let me change without calling them. And my reference beats theirs hands down.. quite sure my Mom knows who her Sisters are. Not too sure about the info on this site.

First, I'd encourage you to reach out to FamilySearch and help fix the error. FamilySearch's records are mostly kept up by volunteers. Who knows how many people you'd help by just correcting a discrepancy down the line.

You'll notice there are no ads, no cookies, no spam emails, no monthly subscription. It's just folks trying to make connections to our ancestry. So have a little bit of patience for erroneous data. It improves all the time. You should have seen this stuff 20 years ago. Its come a long way.

And perhaps.... maybe those sisters aren't who you thought they were haha

Redbow

My Grandmother told me years ago that people way back recorded births and deaths in the old family Bibles and not the courthouse. So I assume its a waste of time for me to research my ancestry when many of those old family Bibles were lost, thrown out or burned up in a fire or whatever. My Grandpa said the same, he was born in 1892, my Grandmother in 1898, my Mothers side of the family. Grandmother always told me her people came here from Ireland, Grandpa's family came here from England.

I know nothing about my Dad's side of the family so I can't research about them.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
My Grandmother told me years ago that people way back recorded births and deaths in the old family Bibles and not the courthouse. So I assume its a waste of time for me to research my ancestry when many of those old family Bibles were lost, thrown out or burned up in a fire or whatever. My Grandpa said the same, he was born in 1892, my Grandmother in 1898, my Mothers side of the family. Grandmother always told me her people came here from Ireland, Grandpa's family came here from England.

I know nothing about my Dad's side of the family so I can't research about them.
I have my grandmother's old bible. There are many family names with birthdates written in there. There are also some old pics and documents in between the pages as well. Some napkins with wedding dates on them tucked in there. Some certificates. Not sure how old it is, but it's an old bible.

IMG-2541.jpg

IMG-2549.jpg

IMG-2542.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Baroque Brass

Not to be a wet blanket, but how can you be sure the information the site is returning is legit?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be a wet blanket, but how can you be sure the information the site is returning is legit?
Most of it I've seen on there confirms with the pay-to-play sites, and actual records I've researched. Occasionally it doesn't, but there is a process to correct anything you find that isn't accurate.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Occasionally it doesn't, but there is a process to correct anything you find that isn't accurate.
Yeah, you have to call them and argue your personal knowledge against their "proof" that they are right. Been at it most of the day "try'n" to prove that my Mom knows her Sisters' names and what they have ain't correct... still a work in progress...

B. White

I've got a couple of books from the 70s that go back to the old world. Info spot checked matches up. YMMV. Looks to me like a lot of it is pulling from death and birth records, census, and military.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Many census records don't become public until after 70 years IIRC.

B. White

I need to upload some stuff I have, in case anybody else ever wants it. There is one view where you can look at what others have posted about your folks. Not a huge amount from mine, but a few things. This is the kind of stuff I'm finding as well as some photos. Not too bad for free.

1716671820177.png

1716672091222.png

1716672470595.png

Baroque Brass

Most of it I've seen on there confirms with the pay-to-play sites, and actual records I've researched. Occasionally it doesn't, but there is a process to correct anything you find that isn't accurate.
Cool. I’m supposed to be related to French royalty from way back but I’ve never researched it, going by what my mom used to tell me. Might be interesting to dig into it.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Now, if only somebody would find a website of relatives who owe me money. :LOL:

There is a site where you can go look to see if you’re owed money or property. It won’t help with relatives, though. Paying them a visit with a baseball bat usually works in those cases. :bounce:

transfixer

I had never seen that site before, decided to explore a bit, found my Mom's side of the family pretty easily, and either there were more records available for her side ? or someone had added things ? from what I already knew it was accurate , found my great grandparents and even back to great great grandparents on her side, both my grandmothers and grandfathers people, ancestors on both sides fought in the civil war and on one side in the revolutionary war if I interpreted it correctly ? I've got to go back and explore it more and probably print off what I can , most of my Mom's ancestors came to Ga from South Carolina back in the late 1700's after the revolutionary war

Not much available for my Dad's side of the family that I can tell, but I'm going to dig further at some point

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Finally! Got a nice woman that walked me through making the changes I needed to (think she made some changes on her side too, I swear the buttons she had me click'n on weren't there before).

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Finally! Got a nice woman that walked me through making the changes I needed to (think she made some changes on her side too, I swear the buttons she had me click'n on weren't there before).
Yeah. You can change stuff. It's a public input deal like Wikipedia.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah. You can change stuff. It's a public input deal like Wikipedia.
Problem I had is that it wouldn't let me make the changes I needed to due to there were more than 2 references on said subject. Once I finally got to talk to someone that understood what I was talk'n about it got real easy.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
A lot of records got destroyed during the Civil War amongst other fires.
Good luck finding any records about WW2, some 75% got burnt up in a fire in the 50's.