Opinions on cold weather pants

rnelson5

I am getting ready to head NE in a couple of weeks and i saw today where it was 8º there with a 20 mph wind!!:hair: I am good on jackets and i have thick waders and wool socks but i don't think my fleece pants with stirrups are going to cut it. I was looking at the Drake LST pants among some others but have not had any experience with any of them. Who has cold weather pants, what are they, and would you recommend them?

steelshotslayer

I don't own the drake wader pants, but I will say anything else I've ever owned by Drake the quality just isn't worth it. My 4n1 parka one of the sleeves ripped Saturday as I reached down and picked up a decoy. For the same price I would go with the Columbia PHG wader pants.

WOODSWIZE

I just love my wind proof pants from Academy. Several fleece camo patterns are available on the exterior, has a wind proof membrane, then a "feel good" brushed surface against your skin. Not in the stores, but offered online. Got mine last year, tested in single digit temps up north ice fishing -they were great.
Good luck!

rnelson5

I don't own the drake wader pants, but I will say anything else I've ever owned by Drake the quality just isn't worth it. My 4n1 parka one of the sleeves ripped Saturday as I reached down and picked up a decoy. For the same price I would go with the Columbia PHG wader pants.

Yikes!!!!! I hope mine doesn't do that. Knock on wood...... I have not had a single bad experience with any of my drake stuff and i hunt a lot!! I hope it continues to be that way. I will check out the columbia stuff

rnelson5

under armour

I thought about them i am just a little skeptical because i have had two $150 jackets get ripped by brush in the first season........ I have been walking through this same brush with my old drake jacket for years and it is still holding up.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Wool. It`s still better than anything else out there. Even if it gets wet, it will still keep you warm.

carolinagreenhead

I have a pair of Drake wader pants. In 20 degree weather, under waders, they are perfect. They keep you warm without a doubt. Pm me, I can't wear mine anymore since I lost a lot of weight. Might be your size.

rnelson5

I am really not into shaving sheep and making my own pants.....:rofl::rofl::bounce:

RAYM

I have drake wader pants and love them they are awesome, you can't go wrong with them

bowtechrulez

Under armour wader pants they keep dry and have stirs at bottom for seal

gsppurist

Can't go wrong with UA but I just wear a thick pair of solid black fleece Pajama bottoms or heavy sweat pants. Inexpensive and comfortable. Layers if I needed it but being in GA, only one layer will usually suffice.

Luv2Bowhnt

I like my drake wader pants. Wear them under my waders and if its real cold will put a good pair of long johns as base layer (have the drake ones and really like them). I see Drake clothing gets a bad rap from some people on this forum (and obviously they've had a bad experience) but I've been very satisfied with the quality and warmth of the Drake items that I own. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

The Flying Duckman

The coldest I have been out in was an ambient 14 F with a 10-15 mph wind out of the NW. I was wearing my LaCrosse 1200 gram with fleece lining and I had on fleece wader pants. Did not get cold. One problem people run into pertaining to getting cold in waders is (sweating). I would suggest a moisture wicking base layer to keep the sweat away from your skin, then the fleece pants. You layer up real heavy and do any work in those waders (putting out or picking up deeks) and you will sweet in them. People complain about there feet getting cold in waders all the time. Mine never get cold. One pair of wool blend socks (most of the time the green army socks) and over the top of them, a pair of Rocky gortex booties. When I take my waders off, the inside of the boots are so wet with sweet that you would think that they leaked, but my feet are warm and dry.

Hope this was of some assistance.