Orvis Wader Repair

Athos

I posted this over on NGTO, but I wanted to share with folks over here too. My Orvis SilverSonics had become a bit of a mess. They were about 5 years old, and the crotch seam had a pretty good split, both boots were leaking, and there was some seepage behind both knees. I’d bought them at the Buckhead store and didn’t feel like driving all the way down there to see if they thought they could be repaired, but took the good advice of some NGTO and headed down to buckhead a couple weeks ago. I was a bit frustrated because they didn’t have records of the sale in their system. They offered me $50 off a new set or to send them back to Orvis for $40 to see if they could fix them.

I didn’t want to drop a few hundred bucks that day, so we packaged them up, I paid my $40 bucks, and off they went. Said the repair folks would email me. Meanwhile, I was eyeing a pair of Simms. Figured if Orvis got mine fixed I’d have a backup.

Never heard from them though. Fast forward this afternoon and there was a box at my doorstep waiting for me when when I got back from picking up some doorknobs (true story) for the wife. Inside was a brand new pair of Ultralights.

I've never been an “Orvis Guy.” I’ve only got the waders and a reel, but this was unexpected and I’m really grateful to them. I’m glad to give a company that’s that invested in their product my business and I’ll encourage others to as well. Might have to go down and get me a new set of Orvis boots to match.

Flyguyflies

Orvis has really stepped up their game and quality over the last several years. I love my convertibles. Simms has gone the other direction unfortunately. They sold out to a private equity firm and the quality of their products has declined. Their waders and boots are pure junk.

trout maharishi

Orvis has as good of a warranty program as anyone in the FF business. Simms still makes waders and boots as good as anyone. There went your pro deal.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Flyguyflies

I don’t have a pro deal with Simms...what’s your point? Their quality took a turn for the worst after the 2017 PE deal. That’s my experience with the products they produce now.

pjciii

I cant afford either company unless it is on sale or clearance. I have to buy caddis or frogg tog.

trout maharishi

Can't argue with your experience. I think when Simms tried to make a more affordable line of boots and waders that may have been a mistake. Their top of the line stuff is as good as it ever was, they dominate the industry. I'm glad Athos had a positive experience with Orvis.

Last edited: