Ossabaw Hunt Report

Clipper

Notice the title of this thread doesn't have the word "kill" in it. I spent last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning hunting with my son on Ossabaw Island at their annual primitive weapons hunt. We got down there on Tuesday at noon in order to get at the head of the line for choosing stands and were about 18 places back. We still got the stand we wanted.

My son, Tyson, insisted I take a smoke pole with me as he said he needed to fill his freezer. I guess he didn't have much confidence in my bow hunting skills (lol). It was a .58 caliber that had belonged to a deceased friend and I figured I might as well kill something with it in his honor. I carried it Thursday and it was so heavy I could barely walk by the end of the day. I got a glimpse of one pig as it ran off down wind of me - nothing else. Tyson shot at 3 pigs and killed two of them.

I told him "enough of this non-sense, I am hunting with my bow tomorrow", and I did. I walked all day the way Robert taught me and did manage to jump one doe at the edge of a marsh but she gave me no shot. I also had 5 orphaned baby pigs walk about 5' from me. I did not want my first pig with a bow to be a baby so I let them walk. Besides, it would have taken 3 of them to fill a crock pot. I did make sure they were orhpans:).There was a fair amount of sign there but no pigs.

We hunted another stand Saturday morning watching deep trails that crossed a sand ridge. Again, I saw nothing. Tyson tried a stalk on a big boar in some dog fennel but the boar spooked.

When we left at lunch on Saturday, 60+ hunters had killed 31 deer and 11 hogs. That is a low number for the hogs. I guess the DNR has been successful at reducing their numbers on the island - which is a good thing. It could also be attributed to the full moon that shone all night each night we were there. If I had it to do over I would pick out a good trail running beside one of the marshes and sit on it waiting for a deer to come by.

Despite my not getting to draw my bow the entire 3 days except to shoot some pine cones, it was a wonderful experience. I got to spend two and a half days walking one of the most scenic islands on the Georgia coast, I met some great people, and best of all I got to spend time camping and hunting with my son. We also fished some Tuesday and Wednesday and actually caught fish! I am going back Thanksgiving week as a chaperone for one of my grandsons, so I know how I will advise him to hunt.

dm/wolfskin

Good report there Clipper. A lot of days of camping the last few weeks. You might not like sleeping in the house now.:biggrin2:

Al33

Enjoyed the read David. No doubt you had a grand time camping/hunting with your son and have done your scouting and planning for your grandson. Best of luck to him for your next trip.

Uptonongood

Very nicely written report.

dpoole

That is a GREAT trip !!!

stick-n-string

There is not as many critters over there as there use to be but it sure is pretty

We were there in Feb and killed 17 hogs in 2.5 days. With that said we only saw 1 deer, but the hogs are definitely there in high numbers despite the DNR killing 1,700/yr