OSU made history again

Madsnooker

And has dominated the NFL draft since going to the current format.

This was copied from another site

"The Buckeyes took sole possession of the NFL all-time record for first-round picks with the second selection when defensive end Chase Young went No. 2 overall to the Washington Redskins. Quickly the Scarlet and Gray jumped ahead by two picks when cornerback Jeff Okudah went No. 2 overall to the Detroit Lions. These two picks made history in another way on Thursday night as well. With the selection of Young -- and subsequently Okudah -- Ohio State became the first team in NFL history to have a defensive player selected in the top five picks in three consecutive drafts. In 2018, cornerback Denzel Ward went No. 4 overall to the Cleveland Browns and last year, Nick Bosa was selected third overall by the San Francisco 49ers. With Young's selection, the Buckeyes are now even more entrenched in NFL Draft history. With the selections of Young and Okudah -- taking Ohio State's total to 14 first-round picks in the last 5 years-- early in the draft make it the second time in the last five years Ohio State has had two top-five picks after defensive end Joey Bosa went No. 3 to the San Deigo Chargers and running back Ezekiel Elliott went No. 5 to the Dallas Cowboys in 2016. The Buckeyes also had two top-five picks in 1997 when offensive tackle Orlando Pace went No. 1 overall to the St. Louis Rams and cornerback Shawn Springs was selected third overall by the Seattle Seahawks.

Since the NFL Draft went to its current seven-round formula in 1994, the Scarlet and Gray owns records for the most first-round selections (43), the most overall selections (163), the most top-10 picks (15), the most defensive backs selected (39) and the most multiple top-10 picks in a given draft (2019, 2016, 2006, 1997, 1996). In the last 20 years, the Buckeyes have produced the most overall selections, 131. That is 13 more than the next best team, Alabama."

That's mighty impressive!!!

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
That's mighty impressive!!!

RipperIII

wow!...how many NC?
13 more over all picks than BAMA...pretty good considering BAMA had 40 scholarship reductions over a 4 year period, into Saban's first year...so, not so bad buckeyes:giggle:

Madsnooker

wow!...how many NC?
13 more over all picks than BAMA...pretty good considering BAMA had 40 scholarship reductions over a 4 year period, into Saban's first year...so, not so bad buckeyes:giggle:
My post wasnt about Alabama, they were simply mentioned because they were number 2. It doesn't matter why. OSU had scholy reductions as well over that time frame. Bama has been impressive as well as everyone knows.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Actually OSU has done more than almost any team in America not named Alabama.
OSU is impressive as long as they play nothing but BIG teams...

Madsnooker

What is OSU’s record against SEC schools?
I forget.
Not nearly as good as I would like it to be. In the grand scheme of things they really have not played the sec alot and many games OSU could have won as easily as they lost. With that said, it's still a bad record. Michigan has done very well against the sec over the years so goes to show bowls dont mean a whole lot.
Actually, OSU didnt want to be in alot of those games anyway as Cooper blew it at the end of the season and they ended up in a lesser bowl. Everyone knows they really didnt want to be there!!!:wink:
PS OSU is 7-2-1 in the regular season against the sec.

Last edited:

Madsnooker

To say OSU has done more with less, let's take a look.
Since the BCS started
Most BCS games - OSU with 10
Most BCS wins - thats right OSU with 6
Combined BCS bowl and Playoff era record - 12-8 with 2 NCs. 4 of those 8 loses were lost on the last drive of the game. I would say that puts OSU in a tiny room when it comes to success in the modern era.

bullgator

What’s really impressive is how Young and Okudah both went no.2 overall.

bullgator

Since the BCS started
Combined BCS bowl and Playoff era record - 12-8 with 2 NCs. 4 of those 8 loses were lost on the last drive of the game. I would say that puts OSU in a tiny room when it comes to success in the modern era.
Since your using the BCS era, here’s some more fun facts;
Alabama and LSU have more NCs.
Florida, FSU, and Clemson have the same number (2) of NCs as Ohio St.
Ohio State has probably had higher recruiting classes on average (see Snooker posts) than all those teams except maybe Bama.
So there’s the less with more.

Madsnooker

Since your using the BCS era, here’s some more fun facts;
Alabama and LSU have more NCs.
Florida, FSU, and Clemson have the same number (2) of NCs as Ohio St.
Ohio State has probably had higher recruiting classes on average (see Snooker posts) than all those teams except maybe Bama.
So there’s the less with more.
I'm not sure about that? I agree since Meyer came on board but tressel recruited well but mainly top 10. No better than alot of teams. I dont think anyone with any objectivity could look at what OSU has done since the BCS and say they have underperformed. I can show you many teams that recruited as well as OSU or better during the BCS era and have no where near the BCS bowl record as OSU?

bullgator

I can show you many teams that recruited as well as OSU or better during the BCS era and have no where near the BCS bowl record as OSU?

OK, show me.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Since the BCS started
YOu know talking to some of these fellas is akin to talking to a brick wall?

bullgator

YOu know talking to some of these fellas is akin to talking to a brick wall?
I’ve been called a lot of things :rofl::rofl:, I will gladly add “brick wall” to that long list.