OTC - Elk - Rifle Season 2 - Colorado Unit 4

Robust Redhorse

Since I completely struck out this year in WY, I'm considering a DIY/OTC hunt for Elk in Colorado Unit 4 for Rifle Season 2.

From what I've read, it can be crowded, the chance for a trophy bull is pretty slim, but the elk population is good.

I did some roadside scouting a there two weeks ago and it looks like the kind of terrain where I've been successful before.

Would anyone who knows the area be willing to share some helpful hints???

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

I plan to drive and pull a camper.

I learned better on my first elk hunt to New Mexico, where I flew and rented a SUV.

I got an elk, but by the time I paid for processing, bought 2 coolers, paid for extra baggage, plus excessive weight fees, and let the outfitters take the skull and cape to a taxidermist who ended up refusing to ship the finished head back to GA, I decided to start driving.

I did drive out once and rented a camper that I only had to pull about 100 miles and that worked out well.

Gaswamp

good luck to you. I will be in colorado on the 2nd rifle in a draw unit

NCMTNHunter

I’ve never hunted 4 but I’ve hunted and planned a bunch of hunts around CO. I’ll give you main thought on that unit. The bulk of the public land is in the high country. It really doesn’t even extend down into the transition. If winter holds out until after the second rifle then it should be a good hunt. If the snow piles up before then it will be tough. There is a good chunk of blm in the northwest corner of the unit that could be winter range. That would be you best bet if an early winter is the case. There is some BLM scattered around the rest of the low country but it is small blocks.

Last edited: