Outfitter hunt last minute

Luke.Deer.Commander

Hey guys, I’m expecting my first child in March and my wife has given me the freedom to take an outfitter hunt this year. It’s really last minute but does anyone know of the best state/outfitter I could get with for a mid November hunt that has otc tags and licenses? I really appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hey guys, I’m expecting my first child in March and my wife has given me the freedom to take an outfitter hunt this year. It’s really last minute but does anyone know of the best state/outfitter I could get with for a mid November hunt that has otc tags and licenses? I really appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I dont now for sure if either of these 3 have openings or not, but all over the counter and great reputations.

Have not been to the MO outfitter but they are good people and in a great area. This would be a very classic mid-west hunt with crops and smaller woodlots.

Have been to Sunfish Valley in OH many years back and had a blast. It's more mountainous than expected but man they have the bucks.

The KY land is rock throw from my house (if I could throw a few miles across the Ohio River). Known them well for many years. This will be a diverse hunt with almost a GA hardwoods and rolling hills feel to it.

https://www.northwestmissourioutfitters.com/

http://www.sunfishvalleywhitetails.com/

https://riverbendwhitetails.com/

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
thanks Jim!

Yeah man. Hope it's a freaking blast for you!

A little advice...you are paying good money for much more than just deer hunting. You are there for the entire experience which includes seeing a different part of the country, possibly hunting a different way than you're used to, experiencing the people and the area and having someone else do some work for you.

What you are hoping for is that you get all of the above and the planets align so that the deer and the weather both cooperate. You are hoping like hades that you experience more rut activity than you've ever experienced before.

Then if all of that happens....you hope to actually see a giant or 2.

Then you hope to get a shot at one.

deers2ward

If I got that green light I would be calling a a couple of places in New Mexico and see if they have any openings they could squeeze you in for a cow elk hunt? Reason I say New Mexico is because alot of their hunting is based on landowner tags, which the outfitters can sell to you long after the regular licensing draws have concluded. Any other state and you cant because you don't have a tag.

Cheaper than a guided whitetail hunt, really experience something different, and come back with 200#-300# of the best meat in the lower 48

Here are a couple I would call based on a quick google search:

New Mexico's Best Cow Elk Hunts with Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Cow Elk | timberlineguides

Rifle Cow Elk Hunts | New Mexico Hunt - BMO Hunts

Jim Boyd

I am biased so take this with a grain of salt.

I would immediately research all counties between the Mississippi and Illinois rivers in west central Illinois.

Find deer hunting resources and ask for hunts that were not filled or for cancellations.

Ask a lot of questions

Listen with both ears.

And all of your brain.

Leave your heart out of the equation.

AsK to speak to former clients - within the last 3 years. Don’t rely on OLD references. Things change.

Try to hunt 5-15 November. Tags are OTC.

If you get on a hunt, ask if you can use your climber.

If it is daylight, you need to be in a stand.

ask if you can use a decoy. ? trust me on this one.

I know some folks who have dabbled in. Guided hunts but I cannot vouch for them.

I can ask if you like.

Good luck sir.