Overwhelmed

IvyThicket

Just KISS it. (Keep it simple, stupid)

So many fly fisherman today have complicated the sport altogether. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need $500 rods, a $200 waist pack, $100 nippers and a fly box for every fly that exists.

Go into a fly shop and grab a handful of BH (Bead head) Hares Ear's, BH Pheasant Tails, BH Woolly Bugger, Parachute Adams and some Elk Hair Caddis and you'll have every fly you'll ever need to catch any fish in any stream.

As for size, always err on the smaller side. That goes with tippet and leaders as well. Stick with 5x and smaller.

Also, I've ditched the split shot. It sounds crazy I know but it makes a big difference. I learned long ago that if you drop a fly in the water by accident, no matter how small, it sinks instantly. So I started reducing drag with smaller tippet or just building the weight into my flies with tungsten beads or wrap. Not adding artificial weight to your line really allows for much more natural movement of the fly itself.

With all that said, it's as simple as it gets. Grab a 9ft 6x fluorocarbon leader and tie a size 16 BH hares ear to the end of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just KISS it. (Keep it simple, stupid)

So many fly fisherman today have complicated the sport altogether. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need $500 rods, a $200 waist pack, $100 nippers and a fly box for every fly that exists.

Go into a fly shop and grab a handful of BH (Bead head) Hares Ear's, BH Pheasant Tails, BH Woolly Bugger, Parachute Adams and some Elk Hair Caddis and you'll have every fly you'll ever need to catch any fish in any stream.

As for size, always err on the smaller side. That goes with tippet and leaders as well. Stick with 5x and smaller.

Also, I've ditched the split shot. It sounds crazy I know but it makes a big difference. I learned long ago that if you drop a fly in the water by accident, no matter how small, it sinks instantly. So I started reducing drag with smaller tippet or just building the weight into my flies with tungsten beads or wrap. Not adding artificial weight to your line really allows for much more natural movement of the fly itself.

With all that said, it's as simple as it gets. Grab a 9ft 6x fluorocarbon leader and tie a size 16 BH hares ear to the end of it.
Mostly agreed, except you ain't got enough yaller in your flies for the creeks around here. A Tellico nymph and a Yellow Palmer will catch about every fish that's gonna bite. :)

Buckman18

Good advice above, but don’t forget the simplest fly of them all: the egg.

Peach, yellow, red, pink.

They simply catch fish!

whitetailfreak

Fyi, you may try Roger Caylor's website to pick up some of the flies that have been recommended. Roger ties good quality, but unfortunately due to health reasons, he's liquidating and closing down his site soon. Many of the patterns mentioned in this thread are now $8/dozen. This may help you initially fill your fly box. I ordered a few dozen Yaller Palmer's myself.

www.caylorcustomflies.com

IvyThicket

Mostly agreed, except you ain't got enough yaller in your flies for the creeks around here. A Tellico nymph and a Yellow Palmer will catch about every fish that's gonna bite. :)

Very true. Heck, my favorite fly of all time might be WNC's own Thunderhead but I didn't want to give up all my secrets. :)