Pecan wood

TJay

The tree guys are here cleaning up from the July storm. I had a small pecan tree that was right by the road so I had them cut it and leave me the trunk. I'll cut it up into discs and then bust the discs into chunks, I should have plenty of pecan to smoke over this time next year!

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    945.4 KB · Views: 39

K80Shooter

The only problem that I have with pecan is keeping the worms out of it. It is under a roof but no side's or anything. Same thing with my fruit wood.

Big7

The Oracle
The tree guys are here cleaning up from the July storm. I had a small pecan tree that was right by the road so I had them cut it and leave me the trunk. I'll cut it up into discs and then bust the discs into chunks, I should have plenty of pecan to smoke over this time next year!
I wouldn't just keep the "trunk" as you say but I'd keep all the larger limbs too. Anything big enough not to have slick bark, I would keep.
Slick bark wood will work too. You just have to burn it off in a fire like you make charcoal in or take a draw knife to it. It takes a full year to dry it out and get the green off of it.

Pecan was almost like gold when I was cooking competition in the 90's.

I was lucky in that my Grandmother's homestead had huge, sprawling pecan trees and I'd get a 10 to 18 inch limb sometimes 15 or 20 feet long every so often after a thunderstorm.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pecan is my favorite all-around smoking wood.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know, but it`s milder, plus, I live in the pecan capital of the world so there is no shortage of cooking wood here.
I can't find it here, and that sucks. But, I get hold of some down in SC now and then, and hoard it.

crackerdave

There's a lot of peach orchards around my neck of the woods.Come pruning season I'll stock up.
Those peach blossoms make for some mighty fine honey,too.

buckmanmike

I had some trees cut in my yard recently. One was a wild cherry. Is this a good smoking wood? I've heard cherry is, not sure about wild cherry. Seems like cherry ought be cherry. I'm like Nic, I can get all the pecan I could possibly use.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had some trees cut in my yard recently. One was a wild cherry. Is this a good smoking wood? I've heard cherry is, not sure about wild cherry. Seems like cherry ought be cherry. I'm like Nic, I can get all the pecan I could possibly use.
Wild black cherry is the cherry they are talking about for smoking wood, not tame cherry. I use it a good bit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Post oak is another one of my all-around favorites, and apple wood.

gb1194

Any concerns with pecan wood used for cooking that comes from orchards? Around here I see them getting sprayed with pesticides. Seems like it would contaminate your food.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Pecan or peach is my personal favorite. Neighbor came to visit last night and H22 asked where he got all the pecan wood in his truck. It was on the road right up from the house. Fell over in the storm. Neighbor asked the man if he could have it. Sure. Now he's GON share with us! :clap::clap:

little rascal

Next time somebody has a Bradford Pear fall or blow down, use it. Think u would be pleasantly surprised. Lady I sold firewood to, gave me some to try smoking with, they were burning it in fireplace. Oh my, some of the best stuff i have smoked with.