Pellet grills

ucfireman

Are pellet grills safe to use under a roof?
Say on a porch? with a normal 8 ft ceiling?
Do they flair up?
I was thinking of getting one and placing it on the front porch under the roof. Then hooking up a flue pipe of some sort, maybe a dryer vent or similar.

They are expensive and need a plug, and I don't want to leave it out in the elements.

Geffellz18

Is this an enclosed porch? If it’s not, no issue what so ever imo other than the potential for smoke lingering under the roof potentially.
If closed in, I would still say yes as long as there’s a safe way to vent it. No different than a wood burning fireplace in a home as far as co2 is concerned.
Only time I had one flair up was ultimately my fault. Had a brisket that was too big for the smaller unit I had and fat started to drip and made its way to the firebox. Never happened again on that one or my current one.
Before my shed was built, I just kept mine in the garage & rolled it into the driveway to cook. Everything still tasted the same- :wink:

Big7

The Oracle
Is this an enclosed porch? If it’s not, no issue what so ever imo other than the potential for smoke lingering under the roof potentially.
If closed in, I would still say yes as long as there’s a safe way to vent it. No different than a wood burning fireplace in a home as far as co2 is concerned.
Only time I had one flair up was ultimately my fault. Had a brisket that was too big for the smaller unit I had and fat started to drip and made its way to the firebox. Never happened again on that one or my current one.
Before my shed was built, I just kept mine in the garage & rolled it into the driveway to cook. Everything still tasted the same- :wink:
Do they have a chimney piped through a wall or the roof?

specialk

My traegar is in my screened in porch and does fine, right next to my blackstone and otto wilde steak cooker......

ucfireman

Its an open porch. No flue there yet I was going to tack up a pipe of somesort just to vent it up/out above the ceiling.

Geffellz18

I wouldn’t be concerned at all with using it in an open porch + it seems like you’re thinking on how to divert the smoke already & that would be the only potential concern but only if there’s no normal draft.
Mine is under cover in my shed and I use it often with no issues. The wind blows the smoke out from under cover.