Philosophical Question

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't been able to fish for the last month and change, so I find myself sitting around pondering imponderable things. Things like why are native specks so durn colorful and pretty? They live back in inaccessible places, mostly surrounded by creatures that have no artistic bent or aesthetic taste, as far as we know. It seems that they are much more colorful than they need to be to be functional. Even to the point of being detrimental to their survival, because they stand out in the water sometimes. They are a swimming contradiction. That vermiculation on their dark backs is great camouflage, but, that perfect camo is offset by the shocking scarlet and white-edged fins that glow through two feet of water. As far as I can tell, they've been here a lot longer than we have, so it isn't designed for our enjoyment. But I'll take it. It's part of what makes them so fascinating to me, I guess. They are surreal in appearance, like something dreamed of instead of something that actually swims in our streams. And of the millions of them swimming, no two have the exact same pattern. Each one is a unique creation with its own color scheme and assemblage of spots, swirls, and swatches of color.

It seems that they are distilled incarnations of the environment surrounding them. Dark, deep greens from the rhododendrons and hemlocks. Intense oranges and scarlet reds from the autumn leaves that peak about the time they begin to start to really color up and feel the urge to spawn. Golds from the beams of sunlight that dapple through the canopy to land on the water. Purples and indefinable colors from the sunrises and moonlight on the water. Blacks from the deep crevices and shadows and moonless nights. Fins edged with ivory white from the winter snows that blanket the ground. Cold blues from the glaciers that drove them south into these old mountains, and left them stranded here when they receded, and the icicles that still hang dagger-like in winter from the cliffs that brood over the streams where they live.

To semi-paraphrase Norman McLean, I am haunted by native southern Appalachian brook trout.

speck4.jpg

speck.jpg

speck5.jpg

c1speck3.jpg

c1speck7.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I will be @5200+ ft for the next few days chasn em!
Good deal! In more ways than one, because after a solid week of rain totalling up to a foot in some places, up there is probably where the only fishable creeks are going to be for a few days. That biggest one in the pics above came from probably one of the creeks you'll be fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like your in your writing mood, I have only caught a few but was paused admiring them before returning to the stream.
Don't tell anybody, but they're also delicious. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Geffellz18

Beautiful indeed. I need to stop procrastinating I suppose and truly target them.
Been on my list for some time now!
Very nice write up, as always…

JakkBauer

Its really more of a biological question than philosophical but you hit the right notes in your second paragraph. Environmental factors such as surrounding landscape and diet play a major part in the vermiculation and colors. Colorful falling leaves, gravel, sunlight will dictate the patterns. Diet will dictate the colors, or at least how colored up they are depending on how many craws, bugs, etc that they have eaten.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Its really more of a biological question than philosophical but you hit the right notes in your second paragraph. Environmental factors such as surrounding landscape and diet play a major part in the vermiculation and colors. Colorful falling leaves, gravel, sunlight will dictate the patterns. Diet will dictate the colors, or at least how colored up they are depending on how many craws, bugs, etc that they have eaten.
Still doesn't explain why the bright colors to begin with? Drab creatures are often more successful, because they are inconspicuous. Especially ones like trout that are both predator and prey.

Seems like around here, often, the higher the elevation, the more intense the color. And, where they live. Here is one that is almost black from a deep, shady hole that has probably never seen the sun:

c1speck6.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! They look like Northern Appalachian native Brook Trout.
Here's what our northern strain ones look like around here that get planted by the WRC:

brook.jpg

Resica

Here's what our northern strain ones look like around here that get planted by the WRC:

View attachment 1109336
Oh yea. I thought you were referring to our northern native brookies. Stockers are fairly dull for the most part but not all of them. May depend on what private hatchery they come from. Our Fish Commission raises a lot of trout and they don't seem to be colorless. I don't normally fish where trout are stocked anymore. Not a big fan of stockers. They serve their purpose, I suppose.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea. I thought you were referring to our northern native brookies. Stockers are fairly dull for the most part but not all of them. May depend on what private hatchery they come from. Our Fish Commission raises a lot of trout and they don't seem to be colorless. I don't normally fish where trout are stocked anymore. Not a big fan of stockers. They serve their purpose, I suppose.
Yep. I can go to a delayed harvest stream tomorrow and catch a 20" stocked brook. I'll take the 5" native all day long. You got any pics of native northern brooks? From the pics I see from folks I know in VA, they don't look as colored as the ones here.

Before I die, I'd like to go to Labrador and catch some of those five-pounders on big dry flies that look like swimming rats.

Resica

Yep. I can go to a delayed harvest stream tomorrow and catch a 20" stocked brook. I'll take the 5" native all day long. You got any pics of native northern brooks? From the pics I see from folks I know in VA, they don't look as colored as the ones here.

Before I die, I'd like to go to Labrador and catch some of those five-pounders on big dry flies that look like swimming rats.
I have some somewhere, apparently not on the phone. I'll post some when I find them. Our trout (native and wild), brooks and browns are beautiful, especially in the fall. I love catching little trout. I've caught 2 inchers. Hard to believe they have a big enough mouth to catch hold. Get to Labrador Steve!!