Pile-0-Sand Sets

rutnbuk

I am sure a lot of you know this, but for those that don't here is something I have discovered lately. Critters love piles of sand! My land owner uses his tractor and scoops sand up from the creek after heavy rains for personal use later. We have two big piles and we have noticed all sorts of tracks up and down them- yotes especially. If you have any means of producing one you may want to give it a try. Advantages are there is always a backing, easy to guide, bait holes super easy, and re-sets are a breeze. Also, the dang deer love walking up on them- we had a shooter buck trip one of the sets. Video stopped just as he was about to step in in though. With a "trap line" of only 4 traps we have still had some success recently.

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1859.PNG
    IMG_1859.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 97

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nice , congrats , I’ve had mine up for a week and ready to get them back in the ground

buckpasser

I don’t currently have a sand pile, but I’ve got a track hoe and a front end loader. Maybe I’ll borrow a little sugar sand from the creek soon!

280 Man

Banned
I am sure a lot of you know this, but for those that don't here is something I have discovered lately. Critters love piles of sand! My land owner uses his tractor and scoops sand up from the creek after heavy rains for personal use later. We have two big piles and we have noticed all sorts of tracks up and down them- yotes especially. If you have any means of producing one you may want to give it a try. Advantages are there is always a backing, easy to guide, bait holes super easy, and re-sets are a breeze. Also, the dang deer love walking up on them- we had a shooter buck trip one of the sets. Video stopped just as he was about to step in in though. With a "trap line" of only 4 traps we have still had some success recently.

Man I like those long bolts on those traps! I'm assuming you use them to aid in bedding the traps!

rutnbuk

280 Man- those "bedding Spikes" as I call them are the best thing for a novice like me. Makes a solid bed every time. My bow hunting buddy "Barehunter" modified all his 550's with them. He used to teach the Coyote 101 classes on here- he passed away just a few years ago and I am fortunate enough- and honored to use some of his gear. He was a trapping machine. I miss him everyday.

Cool Hand Luke

280 Man- those "bedding Spikes" as I call them are the best thing for a novice like me. Makes a solid bed every time. My bow hunting buddy "Barehunter" modified all his 550's with them. He used to teach the Coyote 101 classes on here- he passed away just a few years ago and I am fortunate enough- and honored to use some of his gear. He was a trapping machine. I miss him everyday.

I was fortunate enough to meet Barehunter at the 101 class several years ago. What a great guy and loaded with knowledge he was willing to share. Helped me several times when I got started. Rest easy Barehunter.

oldguy

Man I like those long bolts on those traps! I'm assuming you use them to aid in bedding the traps!
This is interesting in light of the recent discussion about trimming the ends of the springs(Something that's never crossed my mind or been a problem.) Now we gonna' add long bolts that clearly look like thay'd be more of a problem than long springs. Oh well, what ever flips your switch I reckon. I have a hard enough time in the HARD red clay down here chopping out a bed for the trap and little short chain using my trust mattock. But they bed solid as a rock.
Oh my how things change! Why, when I first started trapping all I had was a gardening trowel and a claw hammer. Now folks using back-hoes and front end loaders! :)
By the way, saw this in the latest edition of Fur-Fish-Game . The very best Western bobcats (1 - 2 percent) selling for $1000.00 some flirting with $1500.00 - $1800.00!!
Think we ought to load up our back-hoes and head west young man head west!!

rutnbuk

UPDATE from this morning. With all the rain- the sand sets are all I can trap. Another benefit I guess. This female tripped both sets for a double front and back leg catch. The other pic is one of many from last year that tipped us off these things like sand piles. No bait or traps in that pile- just walking all over it.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 31

Koltan

How do you set these, and do you use anchors. Seems like a coyote could pull an anchor up in that sand. But I’m loving the setup.

rutnbuk

Kolton- I use the standard earth anchor or a drag. With the earth anchor I drive it in at the base where the sand meets the ground. Video shows the yotes walking all around the base before they decide to walk up it. The activity around them has really declined the past week or so. Not sure if it is all the rain or that a couple have been caught.

rutnbuk

All Dirt holes- but really non-traditional I guess as I usually have 3-4 holes per trap at different angles. Just experimenting- but the whole set is not traditional I guess- lol.