Plotmaster vs. Firminator vs. Other for SxS

Tight Lines

Anyone on here have a Plotmaster or a Firminator? Pros & cons of each?

I'm thinking of picking one up to do hard to reach areas with my SxS where we can't get a tractor in...

Curious if anyone has one and thoughts...they are some kind of proud of those things!

shdw633

I just sold my Plotmaster 400 and it's the second Plotmaster I have purchased and then sold within a year. It never seems to be what I expect it to be and I just have better luck with conventional equipment in regards to foodplots, which most of mine are between pine rows. With todays ability to install three point hitche adapters on SXS on ATV's, I would most likely go that rout as the Plotmaster just doesn't seem to have enough weight to get the job done in my opinion. I have no experience with the Firminator product though I believe it is heavier and I like its seed distribution better but as you said......it's expensive!!

https://www.palletforks.com/3-point...JdpQlMfQ88jE3s57XncnDzGFLAOA2VisaAvXEEALw_wcB

Tight Lines

I just sold my Plotmaster 400 and it's the second Plotmaster I have purchased and then sold within a year. It never seems to be what I expect it to be and I just have better luck with conventional equipment in regards to foodplots, which most of mine are between pine rows. With todays ability to install three point hitche adapters on SXS on ATV's, I would most likely go that rout as the Plotmaster just doesn't seem to have enough weight to get the job done in my opinion. I have no experience with the Firminator product though I believe it is heavier and I like its seed distribution better but as you said......it's expensive!!

https://www.palletforks.com/3-point...JdpQlMfQ88jE3s57XncnDzGFLAOA2VisaAvXEEALw_wcB

Thanks, great feedback. What were you pulling it with?

shdw633

Thanks, great feedback. What were you pulling it with?

I used both a 26 hp Yanmar tractor and a 500 Suzuki Vinson with this last Plotmaster and with my first Plotmaster I had a 660 Yamaha Grizzly. I am currently looking to get the Black Boar ATV implement adapter along with the cultipacker attachment that goes on it and that will be somewhere around $420 or so by the time I get them bought. Not only is that less than most pull behind cultipackers but it will also allow me to add other implements later on down the road should I desire to do so. Don't get me wrong, if money was no object than the Firminator ATV model or the G3 tractor model looks awesome but since I only do about a 1/2 dozen or so foodplots twice a year it doesn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money on one.

Bucaramus

I used both a 26 hp Yanmar tractor and a 500 Suzuki Vinson with this last Plotmaster and with my first Plotmaster I had a 660 Yamaha Grizzly. I am currently looking to get the Black Boar ATV implement adapter along with the cultipacker attachment that goes on it and that will be somewhere around $420 or so by the time I get them bought. Not only is that less than most pull behind cultipackers but it will also allow me to add other implements later on down the road should I desire to do so. Don't get me wrong, if money was no object than the Firminator ATV model or the G3 tractor model looks awesome but since I only do about a 1/2 dozen or so foodplots twice a year it doesn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money on one.
Where are you getting the Black Boar for that good of a price?

Last edited:

sportsman94

I have the g3 firminator for a four wheeler, but have only pulled it with a kubota l2501. It works good for me, but the cultipacker will “bog down” and start pushing the dirt versus rolling over it especially when disking on the most aggressive setting. Not sure if it’s an issue when using a side by side or four wheeler, but I do know purchasing the larger cultipacker on the other models is supposed to fix the issue. Here’s a couple pictures of my dove field and then fresh after it was planted in a fall mix for deer season. It’s a 2 acre field and while I would love something bigger for doing that area, it works pretty good.

Attachments

• E85D358E-876B-44B6-9EE7-7FA5DE1FE418.jpeg
    E85D358E-876B-44B6-9EE7-7FA5DE1FE418.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 45
  • 9CBA43AB-1166-4B34-9E30-4836BDDF55C2.jpeg
    9CBA43AB-1166-4B34-9E30-4836BDDF55C2.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 44

shdw633

Last edited:

Tight Lines

I have the g3 firminator for a four wheeler, but have only pulled it with a kubota l2501. It works good for me, but the cultipacker will “bog down” and start pushing the dirt versus rolling over it especially when disking on the most aggressive setting. Not sure if it’s an issue when using a side by side or four wheeler, but I do know purchasing the larger cultipacker on the other models is supposed to fix the issue. Here’s a couple pictures of my dove field and then fresh after it was planted in a fall mix for deer season. It’s a 2 acre field and while I would love something bigger for doing that area, it works pretty good.

That is beautiful...

Triple C

I’ve had a Plotmaster 600 since 2011. Still going strong. Heavy, bulky planter that weighs 1300 - 1400 lbs. In my experience, the key to these one pass planters is prepping plot ahead of time by mowing plot and then spraying with gly to kill everything before planting. Wait at least 2 weeks before planting. Unit will easily open up furrows in dead thatch, drop seed and cultipack all in one pass.

Here’s a plot we planted. Area to the right of tractor has been planted in one pass. You can see how easy it is to plant into dead thatch after spraying field with gly.
21CC4717-E5D8-42F3-8E0B-9A2966545EB1.jpeg

DB93D68D-5A14-4D01-B371-227FB7CD296F.jpeg

My next planter will be a Woods planter. I like the design of the Woods better than the Plotmaster.

shdw633

Thanks keep 'em coming...this will be pulled with a Honda 1000-5 FWIW...

What will you be planting in, bottoms? pine rows? clay or sand? turn around or field, hilly or flat ground, etc.

Tight Lines

What will you be planting in, bottoms? pine rows? clay or sand? turn around or field, hilly or flat ground, etc.

The majority of the property is typical of a pine plantation in Georgia...lots of pines, recently thinned, and sandy loam and clay.

I'll be planting between the rows and in lanes that they created when they thinned, as well as some log decks that are across a creek that we can't get the tractors and lime trucks across. Some of the plots will be on gentle slopes but not hills...either hilltops or lanes leading to a hill between pines.

There is a nice creek bottom that we might try and plant some too but it floods pretty good so not sure...but we might...

That help?

shdw633

Absolutely. Some issues you may encounter, as we have those on our lease that have sxs's, is turnaround area. You have the length of your Honda plus the length of the tow bar and the Plotmaster/Firminator/Woods you are using and this can be difficult at the end of pine rows. While planting last year my buddy was using his sxs to just run the drag which added another 6 feet to the back of this vehicle and he was constantly having to get out and remove the drag, turn the sxs and line it up for the next run then re-attach the drag. So if you are having issues with a tractor getting into those areas it is very possible you will have the same issue if not worse with one of those products due to the overall length. As far as the bottom, the only issue I could see would be weight of the two combined in regards to getting stuck due to trying to drag in very moist soil or getting into and out of the bottom. That would be the only two issues I could see in regards to how you would be using it.

Last edited:

Tight Lines

Absolutely. Some issues you may encounter, as we have those on our lease that have sxs's, is turnaround area. You have the length of your Honda plus the length of the tow bar and the Plotmaster/Firminator/Woods you are using and this can be difficult at the end of pine rows. While planting last year my buddy was using his sxs to just run the drag which added another 6 feet to the back of this vehicle and he was constantly having to get out and remove the drag, turn the sxs and line it up for the next run then re-attach the drag. So if you are having issues with a tractor getting into those areas it is very possible you will have the same issue if not worse with one of those products due to the overall length. As far as the bottom, the only issue I could see would be weight of the two combined in regards to getting stuck due to trying to drag in very moist soil or getting into and out of the bottom. That would be the only two issues I could see in regards to how you would be using it.

The lanes that we have are pretty wide i.e. a car can drive down them and there are places you could circle a tree into the next row and back into the lane - if the turning radius will allow. But that's good to know...

It is less about the tractor fitting than it is 2WD and old, and there are some slight inclines...just not the best place for a tractor. The unplanted loading decks are across a creek that a UTV/SxS can cross...assume I could pull these across the creek but maybe not...if that's the case, then it's really a moot point...