Poachers.........

Redman54

My neighbor owns a 2,500 acre farm that is high fenced,(opinions on this may vary, but not the point of this post) He spares no expenses when it comes to maintaining the land that will benefit all wildlife. He has well established mast producing trees, several plots with mature fruit bearing trees, several cultivated fields that are planted with a variety of row crops that are left standing, etc.. Every year around the rut, they find at least one, some years more, deer that have been shot from the road by some low life, just for the sake of shooting them. Whoever is killing them has no intention to harvest the animal. I can't wrap my head around killing them just to let it rot. The most recent one that was found, was aged by their biologist at 3 1/2 years old. I can't imagine what this guy would have looked like in a few more years. These pictures really don't do this stud any justice. You can't reach around the bases, and the mass carries out all the way to the end of the main beams.
IMG_6382.jpgIMG_6383.jpgIMG_6384.jpgIMG_6385.jpgIMG_6386.jpgIMG_6388.jpg

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
A poacher is just another version of a thief! I have no use for a thief! Shooting deer inside a high fenced area and the shooter is on the outside and uninvited, well that takes poaching to a new level!
I had a friend with a small cattle farm years back. He had an orphan doe fawn take up with his cows one year. The deer would never leave the heard. She lived her life with the cows for the months. As summer gave way to fall he found her one morning in the pasture dead. She had been shot from the road at night!

Redman54

I agree makes no sense. Has your friend considered planting some kind of screen bushes so that the deer wouldn't be visible from the road?
Yes, he has the areas visible from the road planted but there are still some visible spots. This deer was shot at one of the main gates.

basshappy

BANNED
My thought exactly - why not have high quality cameras installed already? If the property owner has has had this issue previously why not invest in technology to record the offender / action?

spencer12

I’ve never understood 1.) why someone shoots deer at night from a road on others property and 2.) why they leave them after they shoot them.

I do not condone poaching and honestly I wish it came with prison time, but what’s the point of doing all that just to leave it there? You’ve already committed a few felonies so why not just go drag it out.