Poison question for Charlie Kilmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heath

Thanks for allowing me 15 days and telling me I can’t control hogs as well as year round trapping. Makes perfect sense.

Attachments

• A1A02FEC-7E1C-42EF-87D2-50554DEFDB44.jpeg
    A1A02FEC-7E1C-42EF-87D2-50554DEFDB44.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 9C020FC0-5059-496C-9026-BFC0F5701F6F.jpeg
    9C020FC0-5059-496C-9026-BFC0F5701F6F.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 19AD1311-35A3-492D-9C0D-900D3DF5422C.png
    19AD1311-35A3-492D-9C0D-900D3DF5422C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

across the river

Sooo.... I’m allowed to kill hogs with my dogs for 3months out of a 12 month year and you think I should be able to control mountain hog population? We use to be able to hunt them year round until you Atlanta deer and Turkey hunters had us regulated to 3 months in the late 90’s or early 2000’s. We never had a problem controlling them until y’all got involved in the first place.
Now I’m supposed to believe you know what’s best for us again?
I’ll pass!

What is the most you have killed in a year with dogs?

Heath

Wouldn’t know an exact number but I’ve caught 100 head counting Sounders and pigs. I could easily have killed a bunch out of groups like that but choose not to because of my beliefs and how we were raised. That’s 100% mountain public land between here and North Carolina. That’s an extended season because I can hunt there when I can’t here. I couldn’t touch that number in Georgia alone with only 3 months. Too many foot miles in between mountain hogs.

across the river

Wouldn’t know an exact number but I’ve caught 100 head counting Sounders and pigs. I could easily have killed a bunch out of groups like that but choose not to because of my beliefs and how we were raised. That’s 100% mountain public land between here and North Carolina. That’s an extended season because I can hunt there when I can’t here. I couldn’t touch that number in Georgia alone with only 3 months. Too many foot miles in between mountain hogs.

How many do you thin a trapper could have tapped in that same area?

Heath

Less than 100% of the hogs in that area. Make no mistake about what I’m saying, trapping is a great tool. Just as dog hunting and still hunting alike. I’m not a wordsmith so I’m sure I’ve led you to believe I think trapping is inferior when I’m not at all. They all have a place. Giving one preferential treatment over another is only going to limit control efforts. I don’t know the first thing about hogs outside of the mountains so what I refer to is strictly in this region. My point is, many are acting as if hogs are a recent phenomenon when in fact we’ve been hunting them for decades and only recently(last 20 years) have they dispersed into new areas. The only common trend over that time has been the reduction of all avenues of pursuit on public land coupled with a drastic reduction in hunter numbers overall. Killmaster said it correctly, we will have hogs for all time. We are wasting effort chasing the foolish notion that they can be eradicated. The government is the last entity that will effectively help without doing more harm than good. If they would deregulate them the private sector would have a far greater impact through trapping on private lands, dog hunting, and still hunting. You ever notice what happens after you trap an area for extended periods? You catch the dumb ones and allow the others to become trap shy and they go on to reproduce and the cycle continues. Anecdotal, but it’s what I saw 15 years ago when I spent a little time with a man contracted at 2 state parks for hog removal. It’s another money pit the government has dug. I pray we never see another time when we allow our government to poison anything.
My answer to your question is no. If you take a month in a block of land with a trap and me with my dogs in the same month. You won’t kill more than me.
If you are allowed to trap 24 hours a day and me only hunt 3 months during daylight hours as we are doing right now then yes you can have a greater impact. You may be aware but most people are not. If they would take the regulation off hogs and let me hunt them 24 hours a day year round then I could run impressive numbers as well. The advantage is there are 100’s of others like me that would work at it as well. That’s a relatively easy solution without causing the state and taxpayers time and money. Why would anyone jump from deregulation to putting out poison? There are many steps in between that should be tried beforehand. Luckily we have bear and that has and will keep the poison talk away.

Sautee Ridgerunner

Sooo.... I’m allowed to kill hogs with my dogs for 3months out of a 12 month year and you think I should be able to control mountain hog population? We use to be able to hunt them year round until you Atlanta deer and Turkey hunters had us regulated to 3 months in the late 90’s or early 2000’s. We never had a problem controlling them until y’all got involved in the first place.
Now I’m supposed to believe you know what’s best for us again?
I’ll pass!

I never said anything of the like. I’d be happy if you could run pig dogs year round. I would be in total support of that.

Sautee Ridgerunner

You probably will never believe me but Im a huge proponent of hound hunting. Id like to see bear dogging and pig hunting returned to the mtns in a big way. I just hate the way this has been managed initially.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Y'all wanna build a far and sing kumbaya together?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Any thoughts on spraying kudzu? Privet? Wisteria?

strothershwacker

Poisoning anything in the food chain just goes against everything I've ever learned about the outdoors. We gonna make an exception now because its a non-native species? I think the all mighty dollar is calling these shots. It seems to be the governing authority in everything these days.

sleepr71

Or...just leave the wild hogs alone. They will outbreed everything else & eventually dominate the woods. Deer & Turkey will be displaced. Waterways will get ruined by pig poop ,and the price of groceries WILL go up. That farmer that has to repair equipment,and replant 2-3 times due to hogs...all that is going to get passed on to us consumers.All of us. I can’t think of one positive thing that wild hogs do,that’s beneficial to the environment/habitat.

across the river

Poisoning anything in the food chain just goes against everything I've ever learned about the outdoors. We gonna make an exception now because its a non-native species? I think the all mighty dollar is calling these shots. It seems to be the governing authority in everything these days.

So you have never taken medicine, eaten meat, eaten vegetables that were fertilized with, you guessed it, nitrites and nitrites? Stuff gets “poisoned” all the time from rats to weeds, to aquatic plants, to people ODing on prescription meds. This isn’t agent orange, or 1080 or anything of the like. It works like carbon monoxide “poison” that you pump out of the back of your truck everyday. Maybe you should stop driving and “poisioning” the environment. There is no magic bullet, and they will never be eradicated, anymore than rats or mosquitos have been. It is another piece to the puzzle of at least some form of control. Quit worrying, it isn’t that big of a deal. Do a little research on Australia. They have been doing it there for years and the kangaroos and crocs are still doing fine. Then food chain is still in tact.

Heath

So you have never taken medicine, eaten meat, eaten vegetables that were fertilized with, you guessed it, nitrites and nitrites? Stuff gets “poisoned” all the time from rats to weeds, to aquatic plants, to people ODing on prescription meds. This isn’t agent orange, or 1080 or anything of the like. It works like carbon monoxide “poison” that you pump out of the back of your truck everyday. Maybe you should stop driving and “poisioning” the environment. There is no magic bullet, and they will never be eradicated, anymore than rats or mosquitos have been. It is another piece to the puzzle of at least some form of control. Quit worrying, it isn’t that big of a deal. Do a little research on Australia. They have been doing it there for years and the kangaroos and crocs are still doing fine. Then food chain is still in tact.

And they still have unreal numbers of hogs. Poison never works it just creates another issue we have to take care of later on. And comparing killing rats to killing hogs is apples to oranges in most situations. I have no problem with a farmer protecting his farm by killing hogs. I have a huge problem with that farmer coming onto public land where we’ve been managing our hog problem for 100 years and poisoning hogs because he thinks he may have a future problem. You see where the comparison is silly? I can come up with all kinds of foolish examples to make a case just like you can. I have a farm. I border 2 other farms. I do a lot of work on another farm. All of them have had hog problems I have addressed in years past. Didn’t need to poison or kill off every hog in Georgia to solve it either. Every hog killed was eaten as well.
You boys gonna appreciate these hogs by the time the democrats are done with this country. We all gonna have to survive on what we can catch and grow again.

across the river

And they still have unreal numbers of hogs. Poison never works it just creates another issue we have to take care of later on. And comparing killing rats to killing hogs is apples to oranges in most situations. I have no problem with a farmer protecting his farm by killing hogs. I have a huge problem with that farmer coming onto public land where we’ve been managing our hog problem for 100 years and poisoning hogs because he thinks he may have a future problem. You see where the comparison is silly? I can come up with all kinds of foolish examples to make a case just like you can. I have a farm. I border 2 other farms. I do a lot of work on another farm. All of them have had hog problems I have addressed in years past. Didn’t need to poison or kill off every hog in Georgia to solve it either. Every hog killed was eaten as well.
You boys gonna appreciate these hogs by the time the democrats are done with this country. We all gonna have to survive on what we can catch and grow again.
Why would a farmer go onto public land to poison a pig? What are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.