possible CV joint problems with 03 silverado

baker7mm

Hey guys
I have an 03 Silverado Z71, and it just started to make a weird sound when I turn the steering wheel to the right usually when I am going 25mph and up. It sounds like something is thumping maybe under the front right wheel. I don't know what it is CV joints, brake caliper sticking?? If any one has had this problem let me know.
-thanks

bull0ne

Banned
More than likely a CV joint.......they're usually fine until the boot gets busted,you should be able to see or shake it to tell for sure.

hootinga

cv joint

i got the same problem with my 90 Z71 i heard a grindin then like a day or so later it got worse after comin back from huntin everytime i hit the brake and turned i heard a clickin. got out and looked up under my truck to see what looked like my truck had a broken arm. i plan on fixin it my self does anyone know if it difficult or i could do it

baker7mm

Red Dirt you are correct, it is the wheel bearings. Lucky me. :banginghe
$153 each side and $150 labor each side, and alignment afterward i was told $659 :mad: I guess that is better than what the chevy dealership wanted $950 or more.

whitetailaddict

that sounds kinda steep for wheel bearing replacement. not real familiar with the chevys but i can't understand why you would need an alignment. i just had the right front cv shaft on my 01 f-150 replaced for $166.00. shaft and labor.

red dirt

GM done us good by going to the torsion bar front end and the ABS. The ABS sensor is part of the font wheel bearing assembly. there is no spindle as we all know them. Now it is made as one assembly. really jerks your chain.Simple to replace just costs more as with everything.

BTW where did you get the assemblies for 153?

Last edited:

baker7mm

Tires plus in watkinsville found the part for me, they did the work also, that is a good group of guys at that shop.

Slug-Gunner

But, Did It Fix the Problem?

baker7mm said:
Tires plus in watkinsville found the part for me, they did the work also, that is a good group of guys at that shop.

My question is.... "Is the truck fixed now and the noise gone?"

It is highly unusual that BOTH wheel bearings would go bad and need replacing at the same time on a 2003 model truck. What is the mileage on the truck right now? The exception might be if the truck had been driven in water or mud higher than the hub level excessively and caused a hub seal failure. I hope they also replaced the hub seal units while doing the work or you'll be back again.

aa136

I hope mud doesn't get in the bearings. I have a 05 gmc 2500hd and you cant tell what color it is and it see's mud just about everyday

Are the new Z71's and better?

I've had two Z71's and both were parted with at 60K due to too many mechanical problems. Rode nice, comfortable interior, good 4WD performance, terrible reliability and didn't turn worth a #$&. My '99 F150 4WD is still going strong, real beast of a truck compared to the older Z's but the interior and handling are poor. Are the new GM's worth a look now that I'm considering a replacement?

aa136

I love mine. I had 2 die hard ford guys who own a f-250 and the other a f-350 in my 2500hd this week planting retention ponds and we had it in the mud the whole time and both are considering selling there trucks and buying a gmc. One of theirs is a f-250 with a 7.3 powerstroke and his wouldn't keep up in the mud