Post Storm S Lanier Trolling Report

LittleDrummerBoy

Great guest today. Slower today than it has been - just a 6 lb striper and 3.5 lb spot. Beautiful, cool, calm morning though, so no complaints. I stuck to the same plan of trolling back and forth in front of Three Sisters Island. I started with 6 of the 7 lures 20 ft deep, with 1 at 30 ft, just in case the storm or another factor pushed them deeper. Sure enough - both fish today came on big Michigan Stinger spoons behind Dipseys 30 ft deep. First time without any fish on lead core or Capt Macks Chipmunk jigs.

A number of other boats went by trolling, but none stayed long. I'm not sure how to apportion responsibility for the slow morning. It was a cool front that pushed though, and that could have slowed them down. Full moon. We also ended up pulling around leaves, twigs, and pine needles longer than we should have. We may have done better clearing the lures more often. The fish may be deeper, but I'm reluctant to play chicken with timber with all 7 lines, so we put a few at 30 ft and left most at 20 ft deep. Only lost one lure today. I'm also beginning to think more fish have moved closer to the dam.

I'll wait for this week's thermocline and dissolved O2 measurements to come out and read the reports from others before deciding to stay in the same area or head toward the dam next time out.

DSCN1999 (2).JPG

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

I’m ready to see you dragging some live bait around and quit trying to fool those fish. ?? J/K.

I just haven't every done as well with bluebacks on striper. I don't have the electronics for it, nor the electric trolling motor, nor the proper live well to keep them alive in the summer heat, nor the budget to spend $25 on bait every time I go fishing.

I fish with bluebacks in April and May - when it is cool enough for a couple dozen to live all morning in a 120 qt ice chest "live well" with a few frozen water bottles. But I fish them on the bottom anchored in creek backs catching mostly catfish with an occasional striper in the mix.

I have pulled gizzard shad and gold fish behind the Dipseys at 2 MPH. (Bluebacks die quickly at that speed.) The bait is hardy and lives for several hours being dragged around - but I haven't ever caught a single fish doing it. Consequently, I don't buy bait to do it, but I might try again if I have live bait left over from something else.

Liquid nails

I prefer live bait only. I’ve caught lots of stripes off of artificials but hands down they love the live stuff. I love big gizzards. I mean big. Like 2lbs big. I try to catch my own bait when possible. I keep a tank at home to hold them in and have a chiller hooked to it. They seem to survive better being pulled around .5-1mph. I’ve been after those fish for 30 years now. Love it.
My thing is like I’ve said on here like I’ve said before is put a child on a big fish. Just something about it and it’s the way I got hooked on them. I love the chess match at finding them. I could care less about fighting them anymore.
Ive caught lots of 10-15lb fish on top water with surface action or a big swimbait. Just never the 20lb+ fish I’m after. My goal is by the end of the year I want to put something bigger than 50lbs in my boat. Stay safe on the water my friend.

LittleDrummerBoy

0625752-R1-036-16A (2).jpgBoys with Black Drum 2011.jpgDSC00189.JPG
J First Bull Red.jpg