Public range safety issues

Dr. Strangelove

Anyone else tired of the behavior at public ranges?

I just got through cleaning guns from my latest, and maybe last, public range trip here in GA. I'm joining a private range because I am fed up with with people who refuse to learn/follow safe firearms handling rules.

I shot today at Charles Elliot WMA (Wildlife Management Area) range near Mansfield, GA. It's an outdoor 100yd rifle and 25/50 yd pistol range with covered benches. Saturday is a bad day for the public range (I noticed it's the only day the DNR officer working the range wears his sidearm..) It was extremely crowded, I went to the pistol range because it had the shortest wait. The two worst violations of the many I saw were as follows, with two very different outcomes:

The bench to my left, three guys and a girl, all early 20's age-wise. Ak style rifles, some 1911's, they were rapid firing and having fun, but safe. If you want to burn up $20.00 worth of ammo in 6 seconds, go for it, as long as you are safe. They were. Till the girl got hold of a small auto. (Not beating up on women shooters, just, she was the one who did the following) I'm adjusting my scope, back to the next stall, when suddenly I hear "WHOA WHOA WHOA! Don't point that way!". I glance over my shoulder, yep, pistol pointed straight at my back, loaded & cocked. As I was turning to tell her exactly where I was fixing to stick that little gun, all three guys just laid into her about what she had just done, then apologized to me. Still shouldn't have happened, but they recognized and corrected the situation. Just teach her proper handling before going to the range next time, guys...

Next one, bench on my right. Guy my age (mid 30's) shows up, wife/girlfriend and 3 kids. He's got one of the most complicated home-made target stands I've ever seen, really Rube Goldberg looking. I compliment him on it, we chat for a second, I go back to loading a magazine, looking for more cartridges in the shooting bag, whatever I was doing at the time. Suddenly, I hear screaming from all directions! People screaming "Go cold! Cease fire!" His wife screaming at everyone "Don't shoot! Can't you see he's putting a target up?" This fool had just walked out onto a hot range , with people actively firing to set up a target. Incredulously, he just kept on going and set his target up. The whole firing line was just staring at him and each other, then about everyone explained, some rather rudely why what he had done was wrong. Just after this, he starts pulling pistols from his bag and removing magazines, locking back slides, etc. - all while pointing them directly down the firing line! Everyone just kind of ignores this, I pack up and leave, all the while getting icy stares from his wife. Guess we hurt their feelings.

I'm sick of it. I'm tired of constantly having muzzles pointed at me, hearing "Get some" followed by a 30 round burst into the ground ten feet in front of the firing line, with ricochets whizzing everywhere, accompanied by maniacal laughter. If you want to unload that clip safely in 4 seconds, fine, just let me know. I'll get out of the way so I don't get 30 hot cases poured down my shirt. Read the posted rules, call "HOT" or "COLD", not "ready to go huntin?" Bring a target, or ask me if you don't have one, I'll be happy to give you one. Rocks, sticks, whatever, these aren't targets. They cause ricochets, bring proper targets or just ask for one.

It's a shame, Charlie Elliot WMA has a nice range, but it's very poorly managed. Someone is going to get hurt or killed. Wilson Shoals WMA range is not as nice, but is extremely well managed. No handling of firearms during "Range Cold" is tolerated, none. No loading magazines, nothing.

This is the kind of crap that got most of the public ranges closed in GA. Until recently, most every WMA had a range. People shooting inappropriate targets, (glass bottles, tv's, microwaves, propane canisters (full), etc.), people drinking while shooting, people shooting up all the signs, benches, and other fixtures are what got them all closed; along with all the unsafe behavior in general.

Well that was quite the rant! To be fair, this range is a very nice facility, as are all the state owned ranges in GA, and we are lucky to have them. If you can go through the week, it's a very different environment, but most of us don't have that luxury. Pointing out my own failures, I should have pulled the guy aside from his wife and kids and mentioned the dangers of what happened, and what could have happened to him, along with a general review of the range rules. I feel badly that I chose to leave instead of helping him. Also, I would not have "told the girl where I was going to stick that pistol", I would have just asked her to please not point firearms at anyone, or anything she didn't plan to shoot. I also realize that those who read this post probably aren't the ones who need educated. I have/will help anyone at the range, I've met many great folks at public ranges, and seen/shot many far nicer firearms than I own. I'm also glad to let anyone shoot any of mine as long as they do it safely. However, I'm done with the wild west crap. I get far to little shooting time and it's hard to concentrate on shooting when you're wondering if the person on the next bench is going to put an extra hole in your body. I will and have pointed out safety violations and gotten the range officer involved, but I'm also there to relax and enjoy myself. Having to police the entire firing line is not why I'm there, and not something I feel I should have to do. I will be calling the Department of Natural Resources and voicing my concerns.

BookHound

Yes, I have encountered MANY idiots at local ranges. The WMAs seem to draw the worst.

I don't go to those ranges anymore for that reason.

I could tell stories for hours if not days about the idiots I've encountered.

devil-dog

I to feel your pain sir.
I've had more bad experiences than good ones at "wma" ranges.
Deer season pre checks draw quite a crowd around here. Not to mention the unsafe behavior... ppl leave their trash/targets all over the place for regulars like me to clean up when I want to practice.
For this reason, I have joined a shooting club/private range.

Sugar HillDawg

Does anyone know of a 100 yd range in the Northern Gwinnett area. I know of Charlie Elliot but thats a trek for me.

stevetarget

I joined a private range for the above mentioned reasons.
At Yucci it was like the wild wild west.

UGAGRAD04

Banned
Yup there are quite a few idiots at Charlie Elliot, that's for certain. Makes you wonder how they've survived this long without killing themselves or someone else.

Unfortunately its not just public ranges that it happens. I RSO for Creekside Firing Range on saturdays often. It is amazing as to the people that I have to correct or to infor that they are doing things against the rules and unsafe. Thankfully everyone has understood and it seems that I only have to make them aware once and in future visits they are problem free.

Just this past saturday there was a guy loading his shotgun to shoot skeet pointing directly at the pistol bays instead of out over the skeet field. I kindly walked up to him and just say "hey bud next time you load that shotgun you need to keep it pointed the other way into the field instead of this way towards the people on the pistol range, or I am going to have to ask you to leave." He kinda looked at me funny and said "you know I never thought about it that I was pointing towards the other people." So I just said "well I saw it and its a safety issue and is something that we need to keep in mind when loading to keep everyone here safe." He said no problem and continued shooting with no other problems. Other than he couldnt hit a skeet to save his life.

BkBigkid

I will not go on the weekends for that Very reason,
I seen some strange things as well there and Just made the decision to not go on the weekends.

I been several times during the week and it is never crowded and most everyone there has some common sense.

I went by a Indoor gun range/shop in Lawrenceville Last night at 8pm and it was packed with People, More than I usually see.
I seen and heard a lot of folks getting in to personal carry that know nothing about Guns. All we can do is to try and educate when we run into these situations. Harsh Stern lessons are the usual ones that Stick in the Minds of "Folks that Don't Know", Either a Stern lesson or fatal Mistake. IMHO

Try to go during the Week it is better

ditchdoc24

I live right around the corner from Charlie Elliot and I won't use that range for the reasons the OP mentioned. My hunting club is ten minutes from my house and we have our own range set up in a powerline. I don't have to worry about getting shot by idiots who can't use a firearm safely. I can practice movement and change positions without any hassle.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I've been over to Elliot, West Point and a private range in Temple. Have seen some pretty scary going on's myself. Most of the time it's just a lack of education on the folks part. Their family wasn't into guns, or did'nt take the time to safely teach them. Sometimes it seems when they reach that magic age of 21, it's all out. ;) Most are begginers shooting for the first time and then there's the ole salts that have'nt been around it in a while that just plain forget. I try and help all I can, but some just really don't need to have a firearm in their hands, till good sense in beat'n in their heads. I shoot at my brother's house now, but I wish I could find someplace close to Dallas to join. I shoot flintlocks, single actions and semi autos, so a good day at the range, is a long day at the range. :)
It's real hard to have fun and work on your skills when you have to constantly look over your shoulder at what some idiots doing behind you. I do pay close attention to what's going on around me, but it only takes a split second for that fatal mistake to happen. And I dang sure don't want to be a statistic.
Education and common sense is the key, but with the masses out there today, that's a full time job for several folks at a range on any given day. But we all need to help those that need it, to protect ourselves and our ways of life. Take a kid hunting, Take a kid fishing, Take a kid shooting too.
Ya'll be safe out there !

R

redneckcamo

those public ranges remind me of what Gunny Highway said in Heartbreak Ridge !!!!! its a CLUSTER ________ !!!!!

Luke_M

those public ranges remind me of what Gunny Highway said in Heartbreak Ridge !!!!! its a CLUSTER ________ !!!!!

I've never been to but one and it was Wilson Shoals. I pulled up in the parking lot, got of of the truck stood there and watched for a minute and instructed the family to return to the truck.

returntoarchery

I don't to Charlie B. Elliot on the weekends either. When I go I try to go on weekdays when the weather is less than ideal. The wackos don't seem to like those days.

But I'm driving 70 miles to my hunting club to pattern different shells and chokes on my 2 turkey shotguns. Not worth the hassle of waiting to put up every target.

Dr. Strangelove

I liked Wilson Shoals myself, I found it very safe and professionally run, unlike the Charlie Elliot range. There was a rope the range officer pulled across the firing line with red flags at each station, indicating when the range was hot or cold. There is also only one exit onto the range from the firing line, much safer than just allowing anyone to wander directly downrange from their bench. The range officer warned several people about handling guns/ammo while the range was cold, reminding them they get one warning before being asked to leave. Overall, I had a great experience, it was very crowded (just before deer season opened) but the safest public range I've been to to date. This was in Sept/Oct of 2008, I haven't been back because it's only 75yds and it's about an hour drive for me.

Bulldawg76

no place could be as bad as that place over on oconee, trembling bridge, I think. and this was over 10 years ago. stories seem to indicate it's gotten worse over the years and may not even be open now.

even back then I tried to go in the morning in the middle of the week. typically there were some real sketchy types out there that thought mentioning muzzle control/awareness and range safety were 'fightin werds'. real wild west atmosphere.

now the term 'pay to play' makes fine sense to me and Riverbend and Creekside are great places to shoot.

drhayes

I go to Sumac Creek shooting range on Cohutta WMA. Never have had too much of a safety issue. Recently purchased an AR and have been up there the past 2 weekends. Both times there were several " undocumented citizens ":bounce: shooting AK's and SKS's. Most did not even look at the sights when they shot. Just rapid firing killing plenty of dirt. Looks like they are getting prepared like the rest of us.

308-MIKE

i've been going to johns mtn ( ithink it's name changed) for years, usually during the week. have seen only a couple of incidences. through the years. there have been times, on say a wednesday, i'd be the only one up there for hours. it's in the mountains, so in the spring time it's great.

leoparddog

I found a private range I joined near my hunting club for $50/year. 200meters, tables and its covered and usually nearly deserted. It is a 1.5 hour drive from the house, but Wilson Shoals is an hour and Charlie Elliot would be over an hour. I won't be going to the public ranges anymore. If I have to shoot close to the house it will be indoors - which is scary enough.

bighonkinjeep

It's not just there it's everywhere. Idiots that can kill you abound on the roadways, on construction sites, flying airplanes/helicopters, public and private shooting ranges, everywhere....
My advice is put on a helmet at birth and don't ever take it off.Don't ever talk to strangers,get anywhere near a construction or demolition site, rock quarry or timber harvest. Definitely don't drive or fly and only come out of the basement when absolutely necessary.
BHJ