Pup is full of Hook Worms

Glenn

Took Daisy to the vet today and she was full of hook worms and acording to the vet she has not had any of the shots she should of had by now.

The Beagler I bought her from gave me a health chart of what he had done to her and the Vet did not see anything that should have been done.

I don't blame the Breeder though and I know he was a good breeder.

Just hate to find out my pup is sick :eek:

QuakerBoy

Glenn said:
acording to the vet she has not had any of the shots she should of had by now.

I don't blame the Breeder though and I know he was a good breeder.

:eek:

Glenn,

I hate to hear this about your pup..

But you don't blame the breeder? ::huh:
Seems a good breeder would have made sure the shots were given

Glenn

Well I got her right at 10 weeks old and the breeder said she was due for worming shots right then but he did not want to double them up on her if I was going to take her to my VET.

Plus she had been in a kennel with other beagles so I expected for her to have some worms but not this many. She had not been eating real good all week so now I know why.

He gave her an adult dosage of shots to get rid of everything and he said they would die instantly.

Now I have to take my parents Dashshund in because she may have them also since they have been playing with each other.

IT'S LIKE HAVING A KID! :bounce:

Agman

Sorry to hear the porblem but the vet will take care of it.

Daisy should make a good house dog for ya. My beagle, Diamond, is 2 years old and is one of the best dogs I have ever had, and I have had a few. She is great with my girls and comes to you when you call her. I have only had her a few weeks, rescued from a bad situation. Now the only problem I have had is my house borders San Felasco Hammock State Park and well deer tend to cross through the yard. Ya, she gets on a scent real quick and makes it real intersesting when the wife is chasing her though the woods with my youngest girl in tow :D

Oh yea, it is like having kids, now I have three ;)

QuakerBoy

I used to think having a dog was like having kids.

Now I have a kid and know better :whip: :eek:

Arrow3

10 weeks?

That pup should have been wormed a couple of times by now...If she hadnt, I would blame the breeder..

Jkidd

Arrow3 said:
That pup should have been wormed a couple of times by now...If she hadnt, I would blame the breeder..

Yup bye the time my pups are 10 weeks old theyve been wormed 5 times and have had 2 of there 3 shots so I would blame the breeder 100%... Pups are more vounerable (sp) to every diease and worms than adults that have built up immunity to them. Im sure the Vet gave the dog some Pyrantel (wormer) and it should take care of Hook, Round, and Pin worms.
Sorrry you had to go through this but yup there like having kids Im at 11 kids right now :) Every other Sunday Eve Im doing some kind of doctoring either Pyrantel worming or Ivomectin worming for heart worms. Then you got to add in the tape worming every 4 months... Good thing I gots a schedule to follow that printed out with the dates for every treatment.

Jason

gtaff

Banned
Screw the Vet

Being an ranch hand and animal science major I do have a leg up. I also raise my own dogs. I raise Queensland heelers. I do not take my dog to the vet. I give all shots except the rabies and do the worming my self. It is a heck of a lot cheaper. For wormer I prefer using Nemex for puppies, you need to hit them at 3 weeks old then about every 3 weeks. As far as the shots a good 7 way from the feed store will do the job. You mix the vaccination then pull it up in the syringe. All that lose hide right in the neck to front shoulder area is the target area. Do it just under the skin not in the muscle. If you have any more questions just pm me. I will try to help you as best as I can

Glenn

I emailed the breeder to let him know how the pup was doing and also to let him know that she had worms.

He emailed me back and said that he thought his wormer took care of that and to say he was sorry for her not being clean.

He is a very good fella and if he was some lump on a log breeder I would have let him have it.

He did wormer or 3 different times acording to my medical paper he gave me.

But I am going to jump on this worming thing and make up a schedule to put her on from now on.

gtaff I may be emailing real soon about some info! ::ke:

gtaff

Banned
No problem the directions on the bottle are very simple to follow.

Jkidd

Good info Gtaff... I use Pyrantel which I get from the vet which is the main ingredent in Nemex2. Also use safeguard paste about 1'' on my finger 3days straight every 3 months to get whip worms that pyrantel doesnt get. Then Droncit every 6 months for tapes. I usually tape them right before and right after rabbit season due to the dogs catching a few rabbits during the season (3 so far this year). Rabbits are full of tapeworms. I do all my shots my self also other than rabies. Only took 1 dog to the vet this year and that was for a brucelosis test.. The Vets cost to much and as long as ya do preventative for the dog you shouldnt have any problems.
Jason

gtaff

Banned
I agree with you JKIDD.. I got a puppy called the vet to see what it would cost with him doing everything..... That was about 300.00 about 15 years ago. No thanks. 5 bucks for the shot at the most and a 8 dollar bottle of Nemex.

matthewsman

hey Glenn

I knew when I saw the pic,that puffed up belly is a dead giveaway,it is common though.I wormed mine as called for,and each time they always passed more worms.You just have to stay on top of them.You may not have as much trouble if you keep her inside as if you had her in a pen.Even with a cement kennel,they pick them up again somehow. ::huh:Treat for heartworms as called for and you should have her for years,donnie

GABowhuntr

You talk about giving your dogs all their shots except rabies - why not give them that also? We just got a new puppy and due to the cost of vet services nowdays I'm probably going to be doing this myself. Is there a law in GA that requires that the rabies vaccine be done by a vet?

Jkidd

GABowhuntr said:
Is there a law in GA that requires that the rabies vaccine be done by a vet?

Pretty sure its the law and its only like 8.00 each. So I just take mine to the vet.

Jason

Ga-Spur

There is a law that requires a vet to give rabies vaccine. Of course a lot are given by graduate students but a licensed vet is always in attendance.