Quartz Points

walkinboss01

Good looking points. Congrats

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Nice!
You dont see many of those white quartz with serrations like that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice finds!

I bet that serrated one was a Palmer like the one at the left, with the base broken by an impact.

points2.jpg

dtala

is that larger quartz point a local north Ga point? and what do ya'll call that type?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
is that larger quartz point a local north Ga point? and what do ya'll call that type?
If you’re asking about mine, the bigger white quartz one is a Hardaway side-notch. The yellow quartzite one is what we call a small Savannah River or Ottare Stemmed. Those aren’t originals, I knapped them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

dtala

When I lived in LaGrange I found prolly a hundred white quartz points along the river. Almost all were very crude and ugly. I also found a beautiful clear crystal quartz point that was well knapped. And a total of ONE chert point.

onedude

If you’re asking about mine, the bigger white quartz one is a Hardaway side-notch. The yellow quartzite one is what we call a small Savannah River or Ottare Stemmed. Those aren’t originals, I knapped them.
They look great! I want to watch somebody make one one day.

mamatried

When I lived in LaGrange I found prolly a hundred white quartz points along the river. Almost all were very crude and ugly. I also found a beautiful clear crystal quartz point that was well knapped. And a total of ONE chert point.

Were the quartz points you found in LaGrange all from around the same time period? The reason i ask is i met a feller 20 years ago that showed me a couple of cases of little quartz points he found around LaGrange. Roughly 90% were tiny bolen bevels. He had a couple of lil dalton lookin points too. Wish i had taken a photo then.

dtala

mama tried, all of mine were from much later period.

I was working on the COE parks, building roads. After a rain you could walk those roads and pick points up by the handful.