Question about cats

seachaser

I’m going to be camping at McKinney campground Monday to Thursday. I remember a few months back someone had a chum they put out to draw cats well they were camping. Was wondering what that was or if anyone has a good thing I can put out to draw them to us so the grandson can catch some.will have my pon but what something to do sitting on shore. We are going to be right across from Glade marina and the water is 30 feet deep with a slow slope down to it. Ran over it today to see what I will be working with. Ps bass were slow for me this morning only 3 on 4 hrs. Thanks

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have used cheap dog food and cottonseed meal cake,

I have heard of folks using rice. Don't know about that one.

hawkeye123

Get 2-3 cans of cheap dogfood, cut a couple of slices in it toss it out , cottonseed hard to find, used it in minner traps, some feed stores have it, have tried the rice thing more luck w/ dogfood & I sometimes chunk a whole bucket of chicken livers in also- good luck!

oldfella1962

Get 2-3 cans of cheap dogfood, cut a couple of slices in it toss it out , cottonseed hard to find, used it in minner traps, some feed stores have it, have tried the rice thing more luck w/ dogfood & I sometimes chunk a whole bucket of chicken livers in also- good luck!

concerning dogfood - many years ago I took my young son to a kids fishing tournament at a pond here on Fort Gordon. Some kids in the oldest age category CLEANED UP with an insane amount of catfish. They had a hula hoop tethered to the shore with a rope. They put dry dog food that floated, dissolved and dissipated gradually into the area of the hula hoop. The floating hula hoop kept the floating dog food contained in that small area as it dissolved. So they had a constant chum source throughout the day.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
i put a good chunk of stink bait on a mushroom anchor. Let it down below the boat and fish straight down around it. Works great. Make sure to clean the anchor before putting it back in the boat.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Regular Corn works. Caught lots of catfish with corn in them. Think the duck hunters throw it out. ?
So I’ve thrower out corn before and came back and caught catfish.
All good advise above.

Lindseys Grandpa

Get you a big piece of pvc about 4-6 inch , put a cap on bottom and pour a little concrete in bottom for weight and let it harden . Drill holes in pipe and put screw on cap with a ring in top for rope . Fill with dog food or what ever bait you use and throw it out and let sit for awhile .

Rhodes

Get a bag of range cubes from Tractor Supply. A 50lb bag is like $15 and just throw a couple of double handfuls out to bait a hole. The will dissolve over several hours. Good luck.

ghadarits

The dog food is my go to when wanting to draw in cats, sunfish or carp. I buy it 50lbs at a time. I also use a pvc pipe as described above along with throwing a couple hand fulls out every couple hours. I use the cheap stuff at Tractor Supply and it’s around $20.00 for 50lbs Half usually sinks and half floats for a little while before sinking.

sleepr71

I’ve been told that White Rice will bring in the smaller (2-3lb) ones,as will Dog food. I want to try a Gallon milk jug…filled with enough Rocks to make it sink…then fill it with whatever “Chum” I think will bring them in.Something oily,stinky,bloody..or a combo of such. Drill,or Poke a bunch of small holes in it so the “chum” can leak out..but minnows can’t eat it up. Tie a long rope to it…toss it out..let it sit a while..then start fishing. Be easy to do multiples.

ghadarits

I’ve been told that White Rice will bring in the smaller (2-3lb) ones,as will Dog food. I want to try a Gallon milk jug…filled with enough Rocks to make it sink…then fill it with whatever “Chum” I think will bring them in.Something oily,stinky,bloody..or a combo of such. Drill,or Poke a bunch of small holes in it so the “chum” can leak out..but minnows can’t eat it up. Tie a long rope to it…toss it out..let it sit a while..then start fishing. Be easy to do multiples.

The dry dog food is really oily believe it or not. I have a pipe banded to the dock and when I fill it up I have to push the dog food down below the water line and the residual food particles left inside gets pushed out and creates a big distinct oil slick. The hole size is going to help slow down the fish getting to it but when a 10lb carp finds it it’s going to suck it until it can’t hold any more or it’s gone. I’ve seen them spin and knot the rope attaching a gallon jug filled with dog food around so much half the jug was out of the water and they were still going at it like they wouldn’t ever get another bite or suck in this case.

Last edited:

seachaser

Well I’m just not a good cat fisherman. I fished for them for a total of about 15 hr and got 1. I did catch a dozen bass all on top water. The only one I caught was on that crazy kool aid chicken bait you see on YouTube.I fished night crawlers bream live and dead with no taker except 2 turtles.

ghadarits

I would’ve bet money you’d catch a good mess armed as you were with bait. I’m surprised you didn’t at least attract carp.

oldfella1962

Well I’m just not a good cat fisherman. I fished for them for a total of about 15 hr and got 1. I did catch a dozen bass all on top water. The only one I caught was on that crazy kool aid chicken bait you see on YouTube.I fished night crawlers bream live and dead with no taker except 2 turtles.

I feel your pain! I'm terrible with catfish and trout.