Question about thinning pines

Bucaramus

Why would a company cut every other row of 4 year old planted pines? Left them laying too. 1/2 of 90 acres is a lot of dead trees now. Will they come back and clean up all of the cut pines?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Why would a company cut every other row of 4 year old planted pines? Left them laying too. 1/2 of 90 acres is a lot of dead trees now. Will they come back and clean up all of the cut pines?
That's very odd, I've never heard of that before. Maybe over seeded or something.

nmurph

There's no pine in NA that has merchantable timber at 4 years. Pines will have blue stain if it lays for long after it is cut and it's marketability is reduced if this happens. If the wood has been on the ground more than a week or so, the company isn't coming back.

Kev

Maybe the stand was overstocked and they had to do a pre-commercial thin to release the trees.

Nimrod71

In my 70 years I have never seen that done. Thinning is done to allow the remaining trees to get more sun light and have more room to grow and nutrients. No they will not come back.

Timberbeast

Pre commercial thinning is just another tool in the tool bag of pine plantation management such as spraying or fertilizer. Often times a pine plantation can be overrun with volunteer pine seedlings. If left alone, the stand will likely fail later on down the line. At a minimum it will fall short of its sawtimber potential. This is typically done around age 4. The stems on the ground will not be picked up.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve seen a very big and successful land owner in Troup co do this . They had a lot of Mexicans do it with chain saws . And I mean cut for months

longrangedog

Had pre commercial thinning done on 40 acres just this past spring. They use clearing saws and thin the young trees to give the remaining trees room and light. Makes walking difficult for a few years but visibility greatly increased.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about ownership but management companies have changed.

That could explain it. The previous manager wanted the row widths and distance apart in the row different than the current manager. Different management styles.
The owner paid to have those trees planted in that configuration and now is paying to have them removed. Not very cost efficient IMO.

nmurph

A better question is: who was overseeing this planting?

Is this timber company land?