Question on duck Decoys

Boyd Green

Weighted or aqua keel

What is best for small beaver pond?

Also, the place I hunt ducks is a small beaver pond in the middle of several large agricultural fields that is surrounded by big timber.

When hunting in the morning hours it is common to see 4 or 500 ducks fly over out of range heading to the river. Only about 40 or 50 will pitch into the pond and they are all Woodies or mergansers.

Any tips on how to pull in some of those large droves?

Sling

Aqua for small beaver pond. Weighted are best for big water or where they may be effected by wind and wave.
You can try and pack all the decoys in the hole but if the large groups are going to larger groups, or familiar holes on the river, they're probably not going to stop.

hunt-chessies

if you are able to wade out into the pond safely then aqua for sure but if your reaching out there to retrieve them with a pole or going out in canoe then i'd use weighted cause tey will land right side up everytime and would be less hasle

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I like aqua keels just for the reduced weight and added movement in the wind. If you just leave the weight hanging off of it with 6 inches of line, they will flip upright 99.9% of the time.

Get you a jerk string and/or spinner to try and draw them in.

Raven

Banned
Water keels for the small water, and weighted for big water where the wind can blow them over. Like Woodie 13 said try a spinner and a jerk string to try and bring in those hish ducks. Or even the mallard machine it really churns up a hole and sucks him right in sometimes.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
One ol boy I know back in VA kept a bag full of rocks, when he would see them at a distance or they were turning away, he would chuck one in the water, seemed to do pretty good. Or you can stomp your foot to get the ripples.

jason308

Boyd......

Are you asking what is the difference between water and weighted keel???

If that is the case, the weighted keel is just that....It has a weight built into the keel...I think these are much better when hunting out of a boat like others have said, but they do always land right side up....But they are MUCH HEAVIER......
On the water keel the keel will fill up with water....And you usually tie a cord a foot or two long and a weight on them (decoy line and lead strap weight) and toss them out...You might have to straighten them up with your hand at first, but your back will thank you if you have to walk a ways. Jerk strings and quiver magnets work good, some motion helps...You have to expirement with what works best for you......It might not hurt to call, especially if there are big ducks passing over the pond (mallards, etc.). Get you a Primos Feedin Mallard, it is impossible to mess up calling with that thing....... Good luck.... :flag:

Last edited:

Beehaw

My opinion of water vs. weighted is strictly lighter weight the the water keel. I prefer the weighted keel because they land upright, but I use both. I like the way the water keel moves so easily in the wind, but I like the way the weighted keel rights itself when thrown.
I keep water keels with shorter lines in on bag for beaver ponds or anywhere shallow that I am going to walk, I keep weighted keel with longer lines for other types of hunting where I will probably bring my boat.
If cost is a deciding factor, it is not that hard to convert them. I have taken water keel decoys and filled them with bb's and them closed off the end with a hot glue gun; it worked fine.

As far as getting them to come to you, if yo figure it out, you will be a rich man!! Obviously the trick is to be where they want to go anyway, and use your decoys to "fine tune" where they land. As this doesn't seem to be an option, I agree with those above, but I think the spinner is much more effective at pulling ducks from long distances. When ducks are looking an area over, motion in the water is great, but it usually isn't noticed from way off.

If you have never used a spinner, they can be unbelievable!

Last edited: